After a couple years of use, time to consider a new reference manager

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
fhap13

After a couple years of use, time to consider a new reference manager

Post by fhap13 »

Hi,
I like Bookends. I can deal with its idiosyncrasies--for me--thanks to the forums and help team. What's kind of getting to me is the interface. I'd like to get a list of keyboard shortcuts, but I cannot find it in the user guide. I'd like to jump to the search field window, I'd like to scroll back through past searches, I'd like to be able select a type of search without having to precisely nail the type selection button. That's just right now. There's other things. For example, I can't figure how to search the last month's worth of message on the forum. I can't figure out to search for people who discuss usages of Bookends with Apple's pages.

Sorry, I am not into ranting, but this is good software and I hope some of these things I've discussed are open for discussion, or at least a note to me telling me where to go to get answers to my questions.

Best,
Francis
Jon
Site Admin

Re: After a couple years of use, time to consider a new reference manager

Post by Jon »

Keyboard shortcuts are generally seen in the menus. For those that aren't they are mentioned in the User Guide (there is no 5 page list of keyboard shortcuts).

1. Open Find dialog -> Command-F. Jump to Live Search field -> Option-Command-F.

2. Scroll back through past searches -> click on the triangle next to the magnifying glass in Live Search. Note that since these are live searches, the search must be added to the list by pressing Return. In Online Search click the same triangle (since it's not a live search, searches are always added).

3. Not sure what you're after with the type of search.

4. The forum is entirely different, of course. It's a common forum type, phpBB, so you can google for that. For example, you can do advanced searches by clicking on the gear icon at the top right of the window. You can search for Apple Pages (but you'll get Apple and Pages, too).

Jon
Sonny Software
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

fhap13 wrote:I'd like to get a list of keyboard shortcuts, but I cannot find it in the user guide.
This app will show the shortcuts available.
https://www.cheatsheetapp.com/CheatSheet/

Regards,
John
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That will show the ones that are associated with menus, which is the majority. Note that in some cases the shortcuts are not associated with menus (are handled in code), though.

Jon
Sonny Software