Is it possible to customize how Bibtex keys are generated?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ghoetker

Is it possible to customize how Bibtex keys are generated?

Post by ghoetker »

From the user manual, it looks like "AuthorYear" is the only option. That's a problem for me because my workgroup has a different standard for generating keys so we are consistent (Author-Year-FirstWordOfTitle-IncrementingDigit).

If not possible, I hope the developer will consider it for the future. The Format Manager might serve as a good template.

Thank you for considering. Love the program.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to customize how Bibtex keys are generated?

Post by Jon »

First, thanks.

Second, no, you can't alter the key generation. I would consider using a format for this, but first word of title is not an option (and difficult to automate, since it would be "the" or "a" quite a bit of the time in English, not to mention articles in foreign languages). The incrementing digit as well -- Bookends uses incrementing letters. The upshot is that I can see allowing a format to be used, but wouldn't want to create a whole new complex structure for key generation.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Re: Is it possible to customize how Bibtex keys are generated?

Post by iandol »

If there was to be a change to BibTeX key generation, it would be worth considering the universal citekey proposal (mentioned by fb3 in another thread):

https://github.com/cparnot/universal-citekey-js

Though perhaps this is exactly what Jon means when he says he "wouldn't want to create a whole new complex structure for key generation"... :shock: