Exporting References to NVivo

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
sforero

Exporting References to NVivo

Post by sforero »

I’m trying to export some references and then import them in NVivo (a qualitative data analysis software). NVivo has the functionality of importing references from Endnote (in .xml format), and Mendeley / Zotero (in .ris format). I tried exporting my references from Bookends using XML (Endnote) format and then importing them in NVivo using the Endnote option, but got an error when importing. I was wondering if anyone has tried doing this (importing references in NVivo from Bookends) or if there are suggestions I can try. Any help / support is appreciated!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Exporting References to NVivo

Post by Jon »

You're better off asking the NVivo support team what it is about the EndNote XML file it doesn't like. If they tell you, let me know and I'll adjust our output accordingly (assuming it doesn't affect importing of the XML into EndNote). In the meantime, why not export as RIS using our RIS format?

Jon
Sonny Software
sforero

Post by sforero »

Jon, thank you. The best I got was an XML example from the NVivo team that is readable by their software using the Import from EndNote functionality. It seems to be similar to the one generated by Bookends, except for the first items in each reference. Could you please take a look and see if you find what could be causing the error when importing in NVivo? I tried attaching the file to this post but got an error, how can I share the file with you? Thanks again.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Can you import that file into EndNote? If not I want to see it. If you can, there's nothing I can do -- it's a legitimate EndNote XML file. Only the NVivo people can tell you what they find problematic (and fix their importer to deal with it).

Jon
Sonny Software
mclayadams

Post by mclayadams »

SFORERO, have you made any progress on this? I want to do the same thing, but don't want to buy NVIVO if it doesn't work with Bookends.
sforero

Post by sforero »

Unfortunately, not much progress. I left this on standby but expect to revisit in a couple of months. My free trial with NVIVO ended so I haven't done more testing, but I'll probably get a license soon. I was able to import references to NVIVO but if I remember correctly, only titles were being imported. The metadata which is helpful to classify/code references and the pdf files were not being captured. I asked NVIVO's support team to evaluate creating an import function for Bookends; maybe if they receive multiple requests from us they might consider it. So, if you use Bookends and are interested in importing references in NVIVO, consider sending a request to NVIVO's support team.