Citations gong missing - what am I missing?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
awallace

Citations gong missing - what am I missing?

Post by awallace »

Hello,

I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I’m trying trying to figure out how Bookends works, I’m looking to move from Zotero.

What I can’t seem to figure out is why when I scan my document all the numbered citations are removed and a bibliography is created at the end of the document. This happens when I try it in word with the plugin, and as an rtf scan in bookends (I’m coming from Scrivener)

I’ve tried wading through the manual, and nothing is jumping out at me, as far as I can see I’m doing the same as the youtube tutorial.

What is the check box I must have missed somewhere?

Many thanks,
Angus
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Citations gong missing - what am I missing?

Post by Jon »

I don't know what you mean by "all the numbered citations are removed". With Bookends you insert temporary citations (not number, although they can contain numbers along with other information), which are removed when you scan and replaced by whatever the format you are using calls for. So, please provide an example of a temporary citation you inserted and tell us what format you are scanning with.

Jon
Sonny Software
awallace

Post by awallace »

Thanks for the response, an example of one of the temporary citations is {Greacen and Barnett, 2015, #96456}. The pre scan the temporary citation appears in the document in the correct place with a footnote at the bottom. Post scan the the temporary citation footnote is removed and I get a bibliography at the end.

When I scan, I have the pop-up window gives me the option to ‘generate a bibliography’ or 'subject bibliography'. There is not option for footnotes.

Ive tried a few styles, though I’m aiming for Chicago.

Thanks again,
Angus
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You must create the footnote yourself in the word processor -- Bookends won't do it for you. Then you place the temp citation in the footnote at the bottom of the page, not the body of the text. After the scan the final citation will appear in the footnote and you'll get a bibliography at the end (if you don't want a bibliography, uncheck that option with scanning).

Jon
Sonny Software
awallace

Post by awallace »

Jon,

The footnotes are there in the word document, with the temp citation at the bottom of the page, the scan takes them away. Presumably the temp citation is correct as a bibliography can be made from it.

Sorry if I'm making a hash of getting across what is going on.

Angus
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In that case the only thing I can think of is that the format you are using is (mistakenly) set to replace the temp citations with nothing. Please check (Biblio -> Formats Manager). If that's not the case, please contact tech support off-forum (support@sonnysoftware.com) with an example Word document and your library as attachments. Tell me which of our formats to use to scan (I assume you didn't edit the format - if you did please include that as an attachment).

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

I tested this in a Scrivener project exported to DOCX with temp citations held in footnotes (using APA 6th as the format), and it worked here. BE 13.07 and Word 16.11.1.
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 09.22.42_SMALL.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 09.22.42_SMALL.png (21.87 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 09.26.30_SMALL.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 09.26.30_SMALL.png (24.2 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 09.23.19_SMALL.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 09.23.19_SMALL.png (21.38 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
djs

Post by djs »

I am having this same problem with Scrivener 3 and Bookends. I compile a Scrivener document, and the footnotes appear as they should at the bottom of the page, containing Bookends temporary citations. When I Scan Document with Bookends, the footnotes (and their contents) disappear. Unscan Document does not restore the footnotes (though strangely, Unscan Document changes the font of the main text.) The same problem occurs in both RTF documents and Word documents.
I tried copying the footnotes and pasting them (unformatted) into a new Word document. Bookends was able to scan them and convert them to full citations. (I then had to copy and paste 100+ citations back into my original Word document.)
I am using Chicago 17A and did not touch the default formatting options.
Help?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please send your library and a one line document with footnotes to tech support. Just one line that shows the problem, nothing complicated. I'll scan it here.

Jon
Sonny Software
djs

Post by djs »

Thank you! I'll do that now.