How to handle journal abbreviations

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kitesci

How to handle journal abbreviations

Post by kitesci »

I've been considering a switch to Bookends, however I have been unable to find out how the program handles journal abbreviations. Do these have to be entered manually or is there a way to store an abbreviation along with the full name of the journal? Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How to handle journal abbreviations

Post by Jon »

kitesci wrote:I've been considering a switch to Bookends, however I have been unable to find out how the program handles journal abbreviations. Do these have to be entered manually or is there a way to store an abbreviation along with the full name of the journal? Thanks.
Hi kitesci,

That's what the Journal Glossaries are for. Bookends comes with on glossary that contains commonly used Medline journal names (Concise Medline). You can create your own glossaries as well. The glossaries serve several functions: (1) shortcuts for entering journals manually (e.g. pnas can expand to Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA), and (2) inserting the correct form of the journal name in a bibliography (full or abbreviated, with periods or without).

Please refer to the User Guide (a separate download from our site) for details.

Jon
Sonny Software