Tabs in Bookends Online Search (and a few other suggestions)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
taja

Tabs in Bookends Online Search (and a few other suggestions)

Post by taja »

Despite the advantages of using the Bookends online search to find references, I often find myself switching back to my default browser as it's easier to use for a number of reasons. I often end up regretting it and using the Bookends bookmarklet to return. I wonder if the user experience for the Online Search could be improved. The biggest improvement I think would be tabs, which would be especially valuable as it's not possible to open multiple instances of the search window.

I also wonder whether it would be possible to have a permanent icon (a globe?) in the toolbar to switch to the 'Bookends Browser', which would save having to go to the dropdown to select it? I imagine lots of us use the Browser fairly frequently. Once in the browser, a reload icon in the toolbar would be good. Also (and perhaps this isn't possible) would it be possible to have the option of an adblocker?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Tabs in Bookends Online Search (and a few other suggestions)

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the suggestions.

A few comments:

1. We already have an icon in the toolbar for online search, I wouldn't add a second. However, it would be possible to allow a key modifier (e.g. Option) + click to open Bookends Browser, regardless of what the previous search was.

2. No need for a reload icon -- click in the URL field and press Return. This will cause a reload.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've added this to the next update -- Option-click on the Online Search button forces Bookends to open Bookends Browser.

Jon
Sonny Software
taja

Post by taja »

Thanks Jon, sounds good.

Regarding the toolbar icon: I actually meant an icon in the toolbar of the Online Search window to switch to the 'browser', and away from one of the specific search engines. I feel like that would save a lot of clicking into the dropdown.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I honestly don't see a case where people are constantly switching between a dedicated search site like PubMed and Bookends Browser ins a single session. But if they are, you can already do this: click on the popup menu and press B to select Bookends Browser. No need to scroll and click in the popup.

Jon
Sonny Software