Open attachment with PDFpen not working

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
lostinasia

Open attachment with PDFpen not working

Post by lostinasia »

In Bookends, when I try to open an attachment with PDFpen, it doesn't seem to work properly. The app PDFpen opens, but with no document; the PDF itself doesn't open in that app.

"Open in ... Preview" works fine.

Perhaps this is because I'm using a fairly old PDFpen (5.9.9), but is there something else I should do to make this work?

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Open attachment with PDFpen not working

Post by Jon »

PDFpen 5.9.9 works for me. Version 9.x doesn't work, though, they probably changed their AppleScript suite. I'll take a look and see if there's anything I can do.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

They did indeed change their AppleScript code (probably a bug fix) and the workaround we used to use to get the PDF to open with PDFPen no longer works. I'll fix this in the next Bookends update.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Note that the fix works with PDFPen 10 (and probably 9.x). It no longer works with the 5.5.9 version I have. So you'll probably have to update your copy of PDFPen for this to work for you (try the Bookends update when it's out to see if it works or not with your 5.5.9).

Jon
Sonny Software
lostinasia

Post by lostinasia »

Oops, sorry about the delayed reply - forgot to check in.

Thanks for the suggestions; actually, it's less of a problem than I realized - Bookends' own PDF reader is a lot better than I realized. I'm not sure if I just didn't figure it out before, or if it's been improved - or more likely a combination of the two.