Feature request: sub-reference types

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Nhaps

Feature request: sub-reference types

Post by Nhaps »

In order to avoid running out of custom reference types, which are 20, I was wondering if there is a way to create additional reference types under a reference type, as sub-formats. This would be optimal, given that there are many small variations within a certain given category of reference type. For those of us who use LaTeX, it should be kept in mind that 20 custom reference types is not enough.
Cassady

Re: Feature request: sub-reference types

Post by Cassady »

FWIW, and assuming it's not too difficult to implement, I would support this wholeheartedly.

My usage sees my referring to cases and legislation - but there are a myriad of different requirements to how these must be cited, that are region specific.

Having a primary format, with sub-formats named per region (user-created) by example, would allow significant flexibility.

If it were to be possible for the sub-format to inherit the properties of the parent format by default, and then allow them to be adjusted accordingly, that would be really useful.

That being said, maybe I am missing something that would cater to the above already?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Any format you create will inherit all the properties of the currently selected format. So you can modify the name at that time (e.g. My Format (England) and tweak the fields that need changing.

As for more Types, I'd have to look into that. Easy to do, but I'd have to make sure it didn't break any existing code.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Jon wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am Any format you create will inherit all the properties of the currently selected format. So you can modify the name at that time (e.g. My Format (England) and tweak the fields that need changing.

As for more Types, I'd have to look into that. Easy to do, but I'd have to make sure it didn't break any existing code.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon, the problem I see with creating inherited formats is that we can only export one format to LaTeX (and I would suppose one format to scan for those who do so). In other words, we are limited to working with a single format for a project, which limits user to 20 reference types. Or am I thinking wrong? I would love to be able to go to Bib - Make Bibliography for a format and its sub-formats, or nested formats. If that's not possible, how about doubling up to user40?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not even sure how one would approach nested formats, I think it would be an awful UI mess. But I can tell you it would mean an entire rewrite of a huge chunk of Bookends. I.e., it won't be done. As I said, I'll have to see if adding more Types breaks any existing code.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

No problem. Thanks for considering adding more Types. I've lost quite a number of hours during these past years, because I have to use a single type for more than one kind of reference. When I change one field, other references get messed up. Thanks for looking into this.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've added an additional 20 Unused Types for the next update. Nhaps, if you want to make sure this doesn't cause unexpected issue, you can test it if you want. If so, write to me.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Writing right now, thanks.