Comma for Journal Article's First Occurrence

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
cox35788

Comma for Journal Article's First Occurrence

Post by cox35788 »

I'm using SBL Handbook of Style. One of its idiosyncrasies is that it requires a colon for the first appearance of the journal article. For example:

Danny Zacharias, "Journal article Title," JBL 100 (2006): 19.

I'm able to get BE to produce the following:

Danny Zacharias, "Journal article Title," JBL 100 (2006):, 19.

The colon+comma is the issue I'm trying to address. Can you advise?

I see in the User Guide the following:
"Finally, even with these tools it is sometimes impossible to avoid inappropriate punctuation combinations when one or more fields are missing. To deal with these situations, Bookends post-processes formatted references to eliminate unwanted characters. Here are some combinations that Bookends handles:" This is followed by a table that indicates that :, is replaced by BE's post-processing with simply colon ":".
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Comma for Journal Article's First Occurrence

Post by Jon »

I'll need to see more. Please export the reference in question and send it to me (support@sonnysoftware.com). And send the SBL format you are using, in case it's not identical to the one I have.

Jon
Sonny Software
tavisbohlinger

Post by tavisbohlinger »

How was this situation resolved? I'm having the same issue as the OP.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you're using Cited Pages what is output before the page numbers is set in the format definition (e.g., could be a colon + space). You can change it on an ad hoc basis by putting whatever you want instead in between \ characters. Like this, to replace the colon with a comma.

{temp cite@\, \19}

Jon
Sonny Software