Bibliography: parent > child

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mnvwvnm

Bibliography: parent > child

Post by mnvwvnm »

Hi,

I ask for your help to find the best solution to solve the following issues.
I'm studying a particular author (Author A), collecting all the possible references of his scientific production: books, co-authored books, edited books, articles, conferences, correspondence, interviews, etc ...
At the end, I want to produce a document with all the bibliography/production of this author (only this author), ordered chronologically.

The point is:

1. In the books with multiple authors or edited (with articles or chapters of the author in question), how to ensure a single reference?
Something like this:
- AA.VV. [or Author A (ed)], This is the Book title, Editor, Place, Year
----- "Article or book section title", pp. ss-xx;
----- "Other article, if there are others of the same author", pp. yy-zz.

2. In my research the date of production is an important fact (for this reason, the importance of chronological order). In the case of conferences/lectures/interviews/debates the most relevant date is that of the event, without ignoring the publication. The doubt is in the cases in which the publication is also related to the author - book with multiple authors or edited by him, for example. Again, in these cases, how to ensure a single reference parent>child?
Something like this:
- Author A, "Conference/lecture title", in Event Title, Organisers/Institution, Event place, Event date (date of the author's conference.)
----- (publication) AA.VV. [or Author A (ed)], This is the Book title, Editor, Place, Year
---------- "Article or book section title", pp. ss-xx;

I read and reread the manual (version 12.8.4) but I did not realize if "Metatypes" solve these particularities.
Any help?
Thanks.
PM
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bibliography: parent > child

Post by Jon »

Metatypes let you pair a parent and a child in one bibliography entry. You can't output one parent and many children this way. I think you'll have to generate a basic bibliography and then cut/paste to get exactly what you want. Please take a look at Subject Bibliographies. These let you output organized by author, Type, group, etc.

Jon
Sonny Software
mnvwvnm

Post by mnvwvnm »

Thanks Jon.
But in the case of the "Subject Bibliographies", which is the rule to output order? Is possible to order the list by date?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Each subject heading (e.g. author) will be sorted according to the format settings (which do not include ordering by date). That's where the manual reorganization comes in. You might be able to do a hybrid -- turn off sorting in the format, insert each reference you want as a temporary citation in a word processing document in the order you want them (by date), then scan and have Bookends create a Subject Bibliography. But I haven't tried this.

Jon
Sonny Software
mnvwvnm

Post by mnvwvnm »

Well, I need to find a better process.
Do it in that way for more than 370 references is a problem...
Thanks for the suggestion.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you sort the columns by year (click the Date column header) and then select all the references by your author, the Copy Citation-generated temp citation group will be ordered by year (i.e. all refs in 2000, then all refs in 2001, etc.).

Jon
Sonny Software
mnvwvnm

Post by mnvwvnm »

Thanks Jon, I'll try that way.
mnvwvnm

Post by mnvwvnm »

Jon, just a useful suggestion for future: it would be great if the "Subject Bibliography" had more options.
Sorry for mention another concurrent ref. manager, but as ENx8 does, it would be tremendously useful a "Subject Bibliography Setup" where it would possible define the bibliography layout, the sort order, the format style, etc... all this in the produced preview window.
Best regards,
PM
thalls

Post by thalls »

I would like to put in my vote for outputting a bibliography. I also would like to be able to sort by publication date and also to be able to group children under their parents. I have am working on a bibliography with nearly 1700 references (so far!) and it would be tedious to have to cut and past to reorganize manually. And, if I do it in a draft bibliography and then edit the references in Bookends, I would have to do it over again. Is there a chance that revisions since PM posted on the forum, new features might make it possible to do this task?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, Bookends outputs bibliographies now. Check out Subject Bibliography in the user guide (Help menu). You can sort by publication date. As for group children under parents...do you mean you want the subject to be Books and the entries under it to be its chapters? That is, Bookends would look for Types that have links and output Parents as headings and Children as the references in the list

Jon
Sonny Software