[Feature Improvement] More robust keyword autocomplete

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
iandol

[Feature Improvement] More robust keyword autocomplete

Post by iandol »

Keywords are an essential term for managing references. To maintain consistency, especially as a database grows, autocomplete really helps (p.56 of the user manual). Currently Bookends autocompletes for new references in the Keywords field. But there are a couple of things that I think could be improved:
  1. Suggestions seem to just be alphabetical, they are not based on the frequency the keyword was used. I often have to type most of a keyword or do lots of up/down arrowing blind) before the one I use most is displayed.
  2. No options are shown. It would be great if autocomplete could visualise all potential matching keywords. This would require some kind of pop-up menu, so may be more work to implement. Finder's tagging UI is a perfect example of how this would ideally work.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 08.38.36.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 08.38.36.png (9.27 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
  3. Maybe this is a bug, but autocomplete never works for me when editing an existing reference. Autocomplete should work both for new and existing refs.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: [Feature Improvement] More robust keyword autocomplete

Post by Jon »

Autocomplete should work with existing reference. The function is triggered after a Return is entered, so in your existing Keywords enter a Return to begin a new keyword and type.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Re: [Feature Improvement] More robust keyword autocomplete

Post by iandol »

It only seems to work if you only enter new keywords after the existing ones; pressing return within an existing keyword list does not work for me ('sa' should trigger autocomplete):

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ClumsyPlainAmmonite

I most often want to prepend new keywords. I suppose I could append first, then cut and paste but that loses the time advantage of autocomplete...