Very useful script from our @Iandol

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Nhaps

Re: Very useful script from our @Iandol

Post by Nhaps »

It's good to know that there is a universal way to automate workflow with any app. But I would like to mention an alternate way to suit your particular needs. My workflow is more restricted, but includes powerful scripts that can save a ton of time as well.

The reason for the restriction is that I use BibLaTeX, which does not work with Markdown or MMD (and Pandoc?).

1. I use LaTeX in Scrivener, and move quickly between BE-Citing-Scrivener and back with just ⌘Y
2. I use Key field in BE column 1. Because references are in AuthorYear format I quickly find them without even looking at the title column.
3. To generate a bib file I add references to a static folder with the shortcut ⌘1. This is followed by a Keyboard Maestro shortcut that does it all.

My only gripe is that BE does not allow for a "Live" Bib static folder. This means that each time a new reference is added to the bib static folder I have to invoke the shortcut to generate a whole new file which overwrites the old bib file.

4. I use a Keyboard Maestro shortcut to compile my Scrivener file to Sublime Text which automatically generates a final PDF.

5. I can use another Keyboard Maestro to do steps 4 and 5 all at once.

Instead of scanning the file to deploy my references, I let BibLaTeX do the whole work by itself. I also have other scripts to sync the pdf with Scrivener and other details.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the users above are using BibLaTeX, correct? If so I would like to implement the Alfred tools in the future. But bottom line here is that Keyboard Maestro can work very well with particular apps without the need for universal tools, in case you cannot implement the script by @landol for some reason.
iandol

Post by iandol »

I use Pandoc and either Citeproc or BibLaTeX, and both workflows generate Bibliographies automagically (though citeproc can do it for any Pandoc output format, i.e. one can write an automatically cited plain text email or forum post 8) ), and both require an up-to-date bib file (which is why there is a betobibtex script in the Bookends Tools). So really our compile workflows are going to be similar. Probably several the Bookends Tools scripts can be run with Keyboard Maestro and visa versa, everything is open source. Indeed someone told me that it may even be possible for KM to show a results list like Alfred does; if it can then you could build a search interface just as Alfred has (Jon has provided the Applescript backend to do this from any script). I know KM is very powerful and has a loyal following.
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Nice to know that you use BibLaTeX as well.Yes KM is the glue that binds LaTeX, Scrivener, and Sublime Text for me. KM also manages BE well, giving me the lists that you mentioned. I'm a lay person, no coding knowledge whatsoever, but was able to produce all the scripts in KM for repetitive tasks. KM can do all kinds of stuff, automatic backups, you name it.
iandol

Post by iandol »

Bookends 13.1.2 has now been released and it includes the floating cite feature, Jon has done a great job on implementing this major new feature in less than a month since we first discussed it!!!! :shock: :D
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

iandol wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:38 am Bookends 13.1.2 has now been released and it includes the floating cite feature, Jon has done a great job on implementing this major new feature in less than a month since we first discussed it!!!! :shock: :D
I can only second that - fantastic addition this!

Many thanks to Jon for being so responsive, and @landol.
taja

Post by taja »

Yes it's a wonderful feature. Huge thanks to Jon - and to @Iandol for the inspiration!
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Excellent addition. Previewing PDF with spacebar could be a future bonus within the floating cite window.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Not the space bar -- you'll be inadvertently typing that in the search field by mistake. Use Command-L to invoke Quick Look.

Jon
Sonny Software