text wrap of columns in basic view

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
johnlaudun

text wrap of columns in basic view

Post by johnlaudun »

I keep my view in Bookends pretty simple: author, date, title, keywords. It makes it easy for me to scan when I don't necessarily know what I want to search for. But even with these few columns, something like titles get shortened a bit too much. Is there a way to "wrap" (as it is sometimes described) a column's contents? If not, has it ever been a consideration.

Thanks for making software upon which I now depend every day to get work done.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: text wrap of columns in basic view

Post by Jon »

The title should always be the last column -- that way you can see as much as you want (by making the window wider if necessary). No, there is no UI I'm aware of with a multicolumn view that extends to two lines if one of the columns truncates the view.

Jon
Sonny Software
johnlaudun

Post by johnlaudun »

I'll have to disagree that moving the title to the last column somehow solves the issue: there's only so much real estate when I'm working on a MacBook. (And, as you know, there's only so long a line can be, whether it's text or a row in a table, before the human eye and brain can't quite keep it altogether.)

As for UIs ... does this not apply to Excel, Numbers, and other apps that offer to "wrap text to cell"?

I'm just responding here and asking questions. If none of your other users have ever inquired about this, then that's okay.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Excel and Numbers are spreadsheets, basically displaying tables, not lists, and tables can indeed have multiple lines. Look at apps like mail clients, or any other reference manager for that matter, that uses lists. They are one line. Bookends does have another, single column view, of course, that you might find useful. The title doesn't wrap there, either, but it can fill the width of the list box.

Jon
Sonny Software