Annotations: link a notecard to a highlight

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
edwinc

Annotations: link a notecard to a highlight

Post by edwinc »

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to produce a virtual note linked to a highlight in Bookends. Surprisingly, I can do it in Preview and Bookends recognizes the link by displaying a red rectangle around the hightlighted section. But I can't seem to be able to do it directly in Bookends. This would definitely change my workflow and make it more efficient, as this is the only reason I don't use Bookends for annotations.

To get the linked hightlight, in Preview, I first hightlight the text and then right-click the hightlight to add a note. This note remains "linked" to the hightlighted text as a comment to the original quote.

UPDATE: I see that I can easily create virtual notes and comments, but not virtual notes linked to highlights. Although, Bookends does make a difference with these (by placing the red rectangle arount the hightlight instead of the "traditional" grey rectangle).

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Annotations: link a notecard to a highlight

Post by Jon »

You have to be very exact in your terminology or it all gets very confusing (in Bookends, highlights, PDF notes, Bookends notes, etc. have specific meanings). I'm not sure what you mean by a "virtual note". There are only two kinds of notes Bookends knows about: a PDF Note (represented by a rectangle, which Bookends and Preview can read) and a note in the Bookends library (which belongs to Bookends, not the PDF).

You can add a comment to a PDF highlight if you like (indicated by the red rectangle in Bookends). Double click on the highlight, type your text, and it will appear in the Bookends note stream (and clicking on it takes you to the highlight).

Jon
Sonny Software
edwinc

Post by edwinc »

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I meant "virtual notecards" as mentioned on p. 114-115 of the User Guide.

The double-clicking was the solution I was looking for. Too obvious, I guess :D . Thanks a lot!
edwinc

Post by edwinc »

A little followup to this thread: when I copy the notecards to Scrivener (I use the right-click and then the Copy Notecard and Citation feature), the comments in the notecards get unlinked from their virtual notecards of the original highlight. Since the default order of the notes is notecards first, then virtual notecards it makes it a little difficult to relink a comment to the original quotation. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!
edwinc

Post by edwinc »

Perhaps a feature request to add would be to be able to export the virtual notecards with a certain indication of its color. Is this possible in any way?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't see how. The copy just copies the text which should be black.You can always import the "virtual" notecard into the database and make annotations there. Then you'll have the quote and your comments together.

Jon
Sonny Software
edwinc

Post by edwinc »

Thanks, Jon.