sorting by tags? or keywords? migrating from Sente

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
omsc

sorting by tags? or keywords? migrating from Sente

Post by omsc »

I am learning how to use BE after many years using Sente. One of the features I used most in Sente was the sort by feature, i.e. you could sort by date added, author, title, date published, etc. Along similar lines you could look at a dropdown menu of user created tags and then see all articles, book chapters, etc having that tag. For instance, I had a tag called chemoprophylaxis. I could click on it and all articles with that tag would appear. I could then further refine if necessary.

In BE I see there is the option of attaching tags to references (and I do know about the tag cloud, though have not figured out how to use it), but I cannot then figure out how to sort by a given tag. For example, I have recently imported several articles to which I have added the tag gezira. See screenshot. But now what do I do? Is there some way to see all articles with this tag?
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.57.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.57.27 AM.png (75.56 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Is there a way to import tags from Sente?

Thank you
Jon
Site Admin

Re: sorting by tags? or keywords? migrating from Sente

Post by Jon »

Here you're talking about PDF tags (as opposed to the tag cloud, which deals with words in the library database). You can search for all PDFs with that tag in the live search box (click on the magnifying glass arrow and select "tags"), in the Find dialog, and in the Smart Group dialog (the latter two have a field called "Spotlight tags").

Sente tags are not the same as PDF tags. But in any case, they aren't exported and Bookends doesn't know about them.

Jon
Sonny Software
omsc

Post by omsc »

Thank you for the quick reply.

I do wonder if any other Sente users have found a way to "re-use" their tags?
omsc

Post by omsc »

Hi again

Another question regarding keywords/tags.

Is it possible to sort by mutliple keywords at the same time? That is, if I want to find all the articles I have tagged (or used a keyword) water, American Indian, Montana (or whatever) is there a way to do that?

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I assume you're talking about the database, not PDFs, and you mean "select by" I think. The tag cloud lets you do that, using Command-click to select multiple keywords at once.

Of course you can search for multiple keywords at once -- if you use Live Search, separate them with spaces. If you have keywords containing spaces, surround them with quote marks. This is an AND search. If you want an OR search, use the more sophisticated Find command (Command-F).

Jon
Sonny Software
omsc

Post by omsc »

Very helpful! Many thanks