Citation Delimiters are redundant

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Dellu

Citation Delimiters are redundant

Post by Dellu »

These delimiters can be directly inserted as part of the format.

You can remove them.

At least you have to offer the option to turn them off because the format itself offers the utmost freedom to create all types of insertion templates.

The bibtex ({}) delimiter, for example, can simply be replaced by {` }` in the formatting. I assume all other delimiters can also be inserted in the format (if the user wishes to do so).
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Citation Delimiters are redundant

Post by Jon »

That won't work. This setting is used by Bookends to know where to look for the citations. Your best bet is to create a format that outputs what you want and use that to cite (using Copy Formatted (Command-K)).

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Jon wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:25 pm This setting is used by Bookends to know where to look for the citations.
Jon
Sonny Software
Do you mean for the scanning?

I see.
I didn't know their service for the scanning.

But, I don't think adding none or off would disturb the scanning. Would it?

That option would be nice for those of us who insert in all types of formats, but never use these insertions of scanning.

But, if that is a bad effect on your set up (code), I can live with the Copy formatting.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Unfortunately it would prevent scanning (this is what the temporary citations are intended for). Bookends has to know the citation delimiter used for citations (how else would it know to look in { } vs.[ ] vs. ( ) vs. the other possibilities?). I understand you have a special need, but the vast majority of Bookends users use the citation delimiters for scanning. Even though from your point of view it's not ideal, Copy Formatted will work for you, and given that there is a keyboard shortcut it's only a bit more inconvenient than using Copy Citation.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Thank you for adding the option to remove the delimiters.
This is very useful now.
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

The latest version s removed the "none" options.

It is very difficult for me to insert citations into Latex documents. I want to insert a citation like \cite{Nishida2006}; not {\cite{Nishida2006}}. The latter will not be accepted by the latex system.

So, dear jon, can you bring back the "none" option please?

Also noted: Bibtex & {} delimiters seem to do the same thing (redundant)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please contact tech support directly with a screen snap of what was removed. I've looked through a number of older versions of Bookends and don't see the option of None for the delimiters (sorry, but I don't particularly remember this).

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

I thought we had None as an option at some point.

Probably, you just did that for me.

I don´t have the old version now.

For now, I find a solution with the Floating citation (found the option to insert without delimiters there). So, you can ignore my request. Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

FYI, you can always insert without delimiters from Bookends if you hold the Shift key down. For example, Shift-Command-Y.

Jon
Sonny Software