Bookends in mixed-OS environment - best practices?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
nh220

Bookends in mixed-OS environment - best practices?

Post by nh220 »

Hello all - I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions, ideas, etc. for the least painful way of using Bookends in a mixed-OS environment. I have absolutely zero desire to switch from Bookends to something like Readcube (Bookends is the by far best reference management software out there, in my opinion), but I need to do some work on a Windows computer for the next few months.

At the moment, I have exported my library to Zotero, and export "new" Zotero references to Bookends manually every few days, but this is somewhat clunky (it does work though). Does anyone have any thoughts for a smoother experience?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends in mixed-OS environment - best practices?

Post by Jon »

That's a great question. If the references you add on the Windows side have DOIs, you could keep track of them in a text file and when you want to import them, drag and drop the DOIs (just the text, like 10.232/jabc.M30293) onto the Bookends library window -- it will import the reference if it's on Crossref. This will work only one DOI at a time, though. If you would find this useful I could allow the drop of multiple DOIs at once, separated by, say, commas? You could also import ISBNs, PMIDs, and JSTOR stable URLs via the Quick Add feature. The same ability to import multiple references at once could be added to Quick Add if people would find it useful.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I have added the ability of Bookends to import multiple references when you drop a list of DOIs on the library window. The DOIs can be separated by Returns or commas. This will appear in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
nh220

Post by nh220 »

That's amazing, thanks Jon. This will alleviate some of the pain points in moving back and forth.