Finding references not assigned to a group

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
sfryar

Finding references not assigned to a group

Post by sfryar »

Hi, I mostly use smart groups to organise my references. I do this by entering keywords, then using those keywords as smart groups. Is there a way that I can see which references haven't been assigned to a smart group? I have a smart group set up to list any references that don't have any text in the keywords field, but in some cases, there may be a keyword that isn't currently a smart group. It would be good to be able to catch those references that haven't been picked up by a smart group. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers, Sally
DarrenIngram

Re: Finding references not assigned to a group

Post by DarrenIngram »

Such an issue doesn't affect me yet, but it could/should... so if a "make smart group of anything not in a smart group" type of function or view could be welcome, if possible.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

An interesting problem. Since smart groups are of course dynamic, the only way to identify such a reference would be to run all the smart searches, remove the hits from the total in the library, and show the references that are left. This can't be done with the SQL search that's exposed to users. I guess it would depend on how useful such a function would really be, and how well it could be integrated in to the UI.

Jon
Sonny Software
sfryar

Post by sfryar »

If you could integrate such a feature it would be very helpful. Not sure how many others would use the same feature.

Cheers,
Sally
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can do this now by following these steps (it takes much longer to write than to do):

1. Right-click on the groups pane and make sure "Multiple Selections" is set to "OR"
2. Hits -> Clear Hits List
3. Command-click select all your smart groups. All refs in any smart groups will be shown.
4. Make the references hits (I like to do this by ticking ONE reference checkbox with the Shift key held down, or you can use Refs -> Mark -> Mark All References).
5. Refs -> SQL/Regex Search -> "hit=0" (without the quote marks). Click the Search button.

Now all the references that are not in any smart group will made hits and shown in the list.

Jon
Sonny Software
sfryar

Post by sfryar »

Thanks Jon. When I do step 5, I get the response "Identifier "hits" is not found."
sfryar

Post by sfryar »

Problem fixed. I typed "hit=0" instead. This has solved my issue. Thanks so much!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Good catch, sorry about the typo above. I'm going to edit it to so other who might not read this far use "hit" as well.

Jon
Sonny Software