Question regarding floating citations and citation delimiters

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kourosh

Question regarding floating citations and citation delimiters

Post by kourosh »

Hi,

I have two questions that I was hoping someone can help me with,

1- With the new floating citation feature, is there anyway to select multiple references?
2- How can I copy citation key without delimiters (such as { }, [ ], ~ ~)? I use bibtex for my references, and I want to add only the citation key without any delimiters. Is there anyway to achieve this?

Thanks
Kourosh
Thanks
Kourosh
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding floating citations and citation delimiters

Post by Jon »

#1. No. But if you drag and drop to insert the temporary citations the window will stay active, so it's easy to perform multiple operations without having to reopen it.

#2. Click Copy Citation with the Shift key held down is the easiest way. Or, define a format that simply outputs the citekey. Then either set that as your temporary citation format (in preferences) or use it only in the floating citation window by setting it in the "Cite Using" option in the citation popup menu.

Jon
Sonny Software
kourosh

Post by kourosh »

Ok, thanks. I will try it.

Kourosh
Thanks
Kourosh
kourosh

Post by kourosh »

Jon,

While the Shift key solution works perfectly with Bookends library window, it cannot be used with floating citation, correct?

Also, if I want to use your 2nd suggestion i.e., defining the new format, I have to use ``Copy Formatted'' citation option, correct? If that is the case, this is not what I wanted.

While this is not a big deal at all, it would be the best if you can add ``without delimiter'' option for BibTeX as well. Specially with this new awesome feature of floating citation, it becomes very handy.

Thanks
Kourosh
Thanks
Kourosh
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

#1 It works in Word, not TextEdit. I'll have a look.

#2. Yes, you'd define a format the consisted of just the citekey and use that. It works just fine.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've worked with the AppleEvent that Bookends sends to apps it doesn't "know" (i.e. other than Word, Mellel, and Pages) so that the Shift key is functional. IN the next release if you hold down Shift and click Copy Citation Bookends will insert the temp citation without any delimiter.

Note that it mostly works now, only the Paste is a problem. So for now, if you Shift-Click on Copy Citation in the floating window the frontmost app will regain control and you simply supply the Command-V yourself.

Jon
Sonny Software
kourosh

Post by kourosh »

Thanks for your response Jon.

I use Emacs as my text editor.
The thing is that I don't want to use mouse to click on Copy Citation. Ideally, I want to use my keyboard only to insert the cite keys.

Thanks
Kourosh
Thanks
Kourosh
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Then the solution is to create the format you want for citation keys and use Command-K.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm reversing the fix I made wrt pasting of the temporary citation into any application with the Shift key held down -- it works, but requires that the user allow Bookends access via the Security & Privacy System Preferences. I think most users would prefer not to do that.

Now, as for you request, why do you want to enter the citekey without delimiters. Bookends can't scan for that. And no other app will understand the citekey without some special markup. If you enable BibTex in preferences you can now copy the citekey like this \cite{key}. Please explain why this isn't sufficient.

Jon
Sonny Software
kourosh

Post by kourosh »

I usually type (or use AUCTeX shortcut keys) to enter the cite command and then I add the cite keys manually. So the delimiters are there and Bookends can perfectly scan the document and create the bibliography.

I also occasionally use cite command as a place holder to add the related reference later on. With this workflow, I can use shift-copy citation from Bookends to add related keys at its appropriate place holder.

The new floating citation feature fit perfectly with my workflow. The only thing that is missing for me is the fact that I cannot add cite keys without delimiters.
Thanks
Kourosh
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

What does your citation look like when you've added the "cite keys manually"?

And do you have BibTeX enabled in preferences?

Jon
Sonny Software
kourosh

Post by kourosh »

It looks like \cite{key1, key2, key3}.

Yes, BibTeX is enabled in Bookends preferences.
Thanks
Kourosh
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Now I'm really confused -- Bookends generates that for you automatically with Copy Citation. There's nothing more you need to do.

In preferences, BibTeX tab

1. Enable BibTeX
2. Tick "Copy Citation" copies Key field
3. Precede with: \cite

In the Scan & Bib tab

4. Multiple citations separated by: ,

Now select 3 reference, and when you Copy Citation Bookends will output just what you have above.

Please contact me directly (support@sonnysoftware.com) if you want to follow this up.

Jon
Sonny Software