Feature Request: Show autocomplete options when typing in file tags

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
pruppert

Feature Request: Show autocomplete options when typing in file tags

Post by pruppert »

It would be great if there were autocomplete options that displayed when typing in file tags. This would prevent mistyping an existing tag name. I'm providing a screenshot of DevonThink for an example of how another app does this.
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 11.36.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 11.36.50 AM.png (20.11 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Show autocomplete options when typing in file tags

Post by Jon »

I doubt we'd do autocomplete. However, if you right click on the tag field you'll get a popup showing all existing tags and you can choose the one you want. And remember, if you have many tags, after the right-click type a letter or two and Bookends will take you to the tag you want and all you need to do is press Return.

Jon
Sonny Software
pruppert

Post by pruppert »

Ahh, I did not know about the right click trick. Thank you. That almost is what I want. The only problem is that this only shows a subset of my tags for some reason. I have several dozen different file tags, but only 25 tags are showing when I right click. Is this possibly a bug or some API limitation?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Did you scroll the list of tags?

Jon
Sonny Software
pruppert

Post by pruppert »

I tried to. It doesn't scroll. Just a view with 25 tags that doesn't scroll.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As I recall, the list is composed of tags you added to PDFs while in Bookends and the Finder tags. Try adding a new tag not in that list while in a Bookends PDF. Is it added to the list?

Jon
Sonny Software
pruppert

Post by pruppert »

Just following up here. Adding a new tag in Bookends does cause that tag to subsequently show in the list. However, the many file tags that were initially created in Finder are still omitted. Is it possible to get all of those tags to show as well?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

All the tags added in the Finder show up for me in the Bookends right-click menu, as long as they are ticked (Show these tags in the sidebar) in Finder Preferences (Tags tab).

Jon
Sonny Software
pruppert

Post by pruppert »

Wow. That seems to work, and you kind of blew my mind. I had no idea about the need to enable that in Finder preferences. The bonus for me is that doing this enables those tags to also show when browsing the iOS Files app. The inability to see some of my tags in iOS Files has been a long source of confusion for me. You just killed two of my birds with one stone … or something like that. Thanks!
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Thanks for the enlightenment, I did not know that tags had to be enabled either.
pruppert

Post by pruppert »

Hello. I am having issue with this again. Right clicking the tag field only shows three possible tags to choose from, but I have many more than that. All the tags are checked in the Finder preferences to be shown in the Finder sidebar. Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks.

macOS 12.2.1
Bookends 14.0.5
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, I don't. I just checked (Monterey), and all the Finder tags show up when I right click. Bookends fetches them from the Finder using macOS APIs, so if their not returning the right information that could be the problem. Try entering them manually for a PDF in Bookends and see if they now are available when you right click.

Jon
Sonny Software