Main panel cut off at top

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
alanterra

Main panel cut off at top

Post by alanterra »

Hi.

I don't understand how this happening, but sometimes when I am reviewing my references, the top 1" or so of the "Main" panel is cut off. Switching to another reference and then back to the one I am looking at fixes it, but it always takes me a minute thinking "Where did the Authors field go?"

If I figure out how to replicate this, I'll update the post.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 12.57.24.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 12.57.24.png (113.14 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
alanterra

Re: Main panel cut off at top

Post by alanterra »

Something seems to be broken, I can only attach one image to the post, so here is the view after I have scrolled to another reference and back to the original (the correct view):
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 12.57.55.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 12.57.55.png (163.56 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The panel scrolls vertically. You've simply scrolled down, meaning that the Authors field has scrolled up, above the top of the view. Just scroll the pane back down.

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

So, I just played around with this.

It turns out that I usually have the window sized to fully fit an iMac 5K screen, in which case the text fields are smaller (in vertical extent) than the height of the window, so it shouldn't scroll. I don't know if the window was fully extended when I saw this behavior.

But if I make the window shorter (top to bottom) I see:

* A scroll panel appears on the right, but there is no scroll thumb visible. Since this doesn't look like a scroll bar, I didn't recognize it as a scroll bar.
* Scrolling with my magic mouse is quite unpredictable. Sometimes the panels scroll when I slide my finger up/down the mouse, sometimes it doesn't. If I keep scrolling, eventually I can get to the top or bottom.
* My memory is that in the circumstances that I originally reported (I don't know how I get to them), scrolling didn't work at all, but I'll play around with more if it occurs again.

I think you are right about your diagnosis of what is going on, but it seems to me that the scrolling of the right-hand panel could be improved.

Thanks for the response.

(Sorry, I edited my response while you were responding. And, note, there is no scroll bar in the images I showed you)
Last edited by alanterra on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It does scroll (put the mouse cursor over one of the gutters on either side and use the mouse wheel). If for some reason you find it's froze, close and reopen the library window and see if it scrolls now.

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

I'll try that
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

Ok. I figured out why the scrolling is intermittent and unpredictable.

If you put the cursor in the right hand gutter (if the right hand panel is taller than the screen, and if the right hand gutter is showing), then scrolling is smooth and predictable just as you say.

However, if you put the cursor over the right hand panel and scroll (which is the way we all have learned to scroll panels), then there are a series of places that the cursor can be at where downwards scrolling (trying to look "up") doesn't work. For a bunch of fields, including, e.g., Publisher, Address and URL, if you put the cursor on the top row of white pixels in that field, you cannot scroll upwards. What seems to unite these fields with this bug is that these are fields that do not have a scroll bar in the field themselves (as, e.g., Abstract, Notes and Keywords have).

I assume that what is happening is that these fields are getting a message ("scroll down") and their response is "I can't scroll, so let me ask my container panel to scroll" — but in the edge case of the cursor being at the top of the panel, the message doesn't get sent on to the containing panel.
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 10.09.57.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 10.09.57.png (11.7 KiB) Viewed 5373 times
There are also times when scrolling upwards (trying to look down) also doesn't work, but I don't understand those yet.

Anyway, if you put the cursor in the thumbless scroll gutter, all works smoothly, as you say.

Cheers
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

So, this is going on too long, I know.

But just now the 2nd panel "Additional Fields" was cut off at top (about the top 2 mm). There was no scroll bar, and nothing I could do would make the top field label display itself. I finally fixed it by making the window small enough for the scroll bar on the right hand panel to show up (this time with a thumb!), and then scrolling to the bottom of the panel, at which time I could scroll to the top of the panel.

There is some weird juju going on here.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This isn't a bug, it's why we have the gutters. The text fields will grab the scroll wheel event -- even if a field doesn't have a vertical scrollbar (because its height doesn't allow it) it is still multiline (meaning, you can have more than one URL, for example, associated with a reference). As long as the cursor is over a gutter the pane should scroll.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I can reproduce the issue with the Additional fields, it's some issue with the offset calculation. I'll take a look. But it's a minor cosmetic bug, easily fixed as you did (get the scrollbar to reappear).

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think I've fixed this for the next update. Still need to test a bit more.

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

Thank you