Generate Key Terms list?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
leprofbard

Generate Key Terms list?

Post by leprofbard »

I'm wondering if there is a way to generate a Key Terms list from the entries in Bookends. Typically, I enter or use key terms to create smart groups, but what if I wanted to see a list of terms, including names and terms, that my selected list of texts include. Sort of doing it backwards: I know the list exists, I want to see what common elements they share or reveal.

If that function is not available, is it possible to export a selected lists of text to a .txt formatted document, which I could then sort for the individual items to identify frequency and occurrences?

Thanx
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Generate Key Terms list?

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure I understand what you're after. What do you mean by "Key"? Keywords? The BibTeX Key field? Can you give a concrete example?

If it's keywords you're after, off the top of my head I'd suggest taking a look a tag clouds. You can show all the keywords of the showing references, for example, in an alphabetical array, with the size/color of the keyword reflecting the number of times it was used.

Jon
Sonny Software
leprofbard

Post by leprofbard »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, and I think Tag Clouds is pretty much what I was looking for. Is there a way to export the Tag Cloud results, without having the full citation
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The tag clouds can't be exported. We have term lists for Keywords, which can be exported, but they apply to the entire library, not a subset.

Jon
Sonny Software
leprofbard

Post by leprofbard »

OK, thank you very much. This is good enough for me to continue with the project I had in mind.
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

I think if you want to export a term list for a group of references you could

a) export those references and open them as a new database in Bookends (manual, p. 309)
b) export the terms (manual, p. 381)

Not something you would want to do every day, but easy enough as a "one off."