can't make Notecards from PDF highlights

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
opsimathphd

can't make Notecards from PDF highlights

Post by opsimathphd »

I imported a PDF from DevonThink, which already had highlights in it. I didn't expect them to be usable in Bookends, and they weren't, so I opened the PDF in Preview, made some new highlights, saved it, and reopened it in BE. All the gear menu commands which refer to highlights and notes/note cards are grayed out. I tried highlighting within BE; same thing. (Yes, I checked "Use Annotation View" in the gear menu.)

I have to admit that I'm getting very frustrated with Bookends. This might convince me to stick with it, though--if only I can make it work! Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: can't make Notecards from PDF highlights

Post by Jon »

What's frustrating? This hardly seems a dealbreaker.

I'd expect the highlights from DPT, Preview, and Bookends itself to show in in Bookends as notecards. Did you check 'Show Highlighted PDF Text as Notecards'? It's an option in the PDF action popup menu.

As for the grayed out menus, they're enabled once some text is selected. Their function is to manipulate the selected text in some way.

Jon
Sonny Software