Conditional page number formatting

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
freney

Conditional page number formatting

Post by freney »

My apologies if this is indeed in the guide and I've missed it.

I'm trying to get a particular tweak to a formatting style. For my style guide, most things are cited with the page reference preceded by a comma and a space, e.g. {Porter, 1989, #94439@55–57} is expanded to:
Stanley E. Porter, Verbal Aspect in the Greek of the New Testament: With Reference to Tense and Mood, SBG 1 (New York: Lang, 1989), 55–57.
If there's no page range specified for the citation, then there's no comma, space, or page number. Fine.

Journal articles, if they're referred to in toto, have the page range from the actual journal as the final part of the reference:
Daryl Schmidt, “The Study of Hellenistic Greek Grammar in the Light of Contemporary Linguistics,” PRSt 11/4 (1985): 27–38.
However, if I want to cite a particular page then according to the style the page number should replace the page range above. However, since I've got a comma and space as the preceding thing for page numbers, which is the right thing almost always, then the tag {Schmidt, 1985, #94120@33} gets expanded as:
Daryl Schmidt, “The Study of Hellenistic Greek Grammar in the Light of Contemporary Linguistics,” PRSt 11/4 (1985): , 33.
Obviously this is not the right approach. But is it possible to do a per-source-type page prefix? Or do I need to modify all other styles somehow?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Conditional page number formatting

Post by Jon »

If I understand what you're after, not that you can change the cited pages prefix on an ad hoc basis by supplying it between backslashes:

temp cite@\ \55

would output a space before the cited page, regardless of the setting in the format.

Jon
Sonny Software
freney

Post by freney »

Thanks. Any way I can change the page number prefix just for an article, but not say for a book?

I don’t want to have to remember what type a reference is when I cite it, I just want to cite it and let the formattting so the work.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The example I posted doesn't care what type the reference is. Set the format to handle the most common type of citation you use. Then use this method when you want to deviate from that. You'll need to keep track of what type of citation you're creating.

Jon
Sonny Software