Volume Field Trouble

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Enkidu

Volume Field Trouble

Post by Enkidu »

I've just noticed a really bizarre problem in the volume field. I am trying to input

20 (2)

into this field, but Bookends doesn't seem to like it. This is, of course, a fairly standard entry.
What happens is that as I'm typing, the program moves the text around. I type "20 ", and then as soon as I put in the first bracket, the cursor jumps back to the beginning, and replaces my open bracket with a close bracket. Then there are a couple more weird manouvers, and I end up with the following:

2) 20)

However just now, when I cut and pasted from Bookends into this message, it reorganized the characters into the right order - but it's still messed up in the program itself. And when I try to change it manually, the cursor changes to a small "superscript"-style one.
I haven't tried making a citation in a text editor yet, which I guess is the next step. Very strange... The weird thing is, I have similar entries in another bibliography and haven't had any problems with that.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Marcus
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Marcus,

I've seen this behavior occasionally myself -- pretty annoying. I have no idea what triggers it, but when it happens it seems to be field-specific. My best guess is that the OS becomes confused and thinks that the field's encoding is right-to-left, even though it is English (or Roman, at least).

The solution is simply to rebuild the database (Database Maintenance -> Rebuild (Keep User Data)). That will take care of it.

Jon
Sonny Software