citation options for different types

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bryll

citation options for different types

Post by bryll »

Is it possible to set citation options for different types when using a particular referencing style (Harvard).

I would like to use one configuration of Author, Date for journal articles and another for EU publications i.e. "Atkinson, B" vs. "European Commission", for example.

Is this doable?

Many thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: citation options for different types

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure how your citations will differ, but you can define different outputs for different Types, including name order (Surname first or last). Name punctuation, however, is global.

Jon
Sonny Software
bryll

Post by bryll »

Hi Jon,

I've created a new type called EU publication and when I choose Cite by: custom in Citation Options I can choose the name order that I wish as you describe.

However when I select a standard type i.e. Journal, the custom option is also assigned there (as opposed to author-date which I would like to use).

Is there a way to make this option 'stick' for each type?

Marcus
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can't have author-date and custom mixed. However, with custom it's easy to make the author-date style (the built in author-date is simply a convenience function). See APA for an example. Just use

a d

in the format order field for the Journal Type, and whatever else you want for the EU publication Type.

Jon
Sonny Software
bryll

Post by bryll »

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for the quick responses! Your solution has worked :D

Much appreciated,

Marcus