Corruption of OCR'd PDFs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
joao

Re: Corruption of OCR'd PDFs

Post by joao »

I've heard good things about Catalina regarding the pdf system. But many have recounted problems returning in Big Sur. See for example: https://annoying.technology/posts/86f4ea27e4cd90d0/

On a related note, there is a new pdf viewer for Mac called... PDF Viewer (https://pdfviewer.io). It's free, does not use apple's pdfkit, and is by the same people that provide the pdf framework used in Bookends iOS (I believe). It might be useful to add it to the list of apps that you can open attachments with in Bookends, as it should be quite compatible.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Interesting. Have you personally had this problem in Big Sur with editing in Bookends?

As for added PDF Viewer to the built in list of options, I'd be happy to if it's requested. No one has done that yet (unless your post is such a request).

Jon
Sonny Software
joao

Post by joao »

Yes please. It would be great if we had the option of PDF Viewer. I've been opening Bookends attachments in it through AppleScript but that doesn't work very well.

As for issues in Big Sur, it's a bit early to say. I've had issues, but they're random, and normally involve Preview and OCRed pdfs. If I'm editing in Bookends iOS I don't expect problems, since it uses PSPDFKit rather than Apple's pdfkit if I'm not mistaken. On the Mac I rarely edit in Bookends mostly because I can't get the pdf to fill up the whole window vertically unless I'm in full screen mode (which I'm not a fan of).

I tend to annotate in Skim which doesn't affect the pdf file, and when I know I've finished annotating I have Skim export over the original file as a normal pdf. I also have an AppleScript that collects the annotations in markdown which I put in the bookends notes field. I do run the risk of getting issues if I go back to annotating the pdf file after it's been exported from Skim. I notice most problems happen when you start highlighting an already highlighted pdf.

I expect to switch to PDF Viewer, as it's quite fast, and should not have any of the problems plaguing apple's pdf, but Skim really is very good.