cmd-Y, cmd-K and floating citations in Mojave

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
alanterra

cmd-Y, cmd-K and floating citations in Mojave

Post by alanterra »

I have Scrivener set up as my word processor in Bookends.

There are two issues under Mojave that people might want to know about.

First, when you try to copy a reference to your word processor from Bookends, you will need to allow Bookends to control System Events.app in the System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Automation panel. And, when you want to use floating citations from your word processor you will also need to enable control by Bookends of your word processor.

Second, after doing this, at least for me, cmd-Y and cmd-K now do not paste the relevant information into my word processor automatically. E.g., cmd-Y copies the reference in braces, and switches to the word processor, and then I need type cmd-V to paste it. In my mind, this is not a problem; I think I prefer to paste it in by hand, because sometimes the automatic paste does something that I didn't intend.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: cmd-Y, cmd-K and floating citations in Mojave

Post by Jon »

I would just point out that your second problem is not inherent in Mojave. Please see this this FAQ about how the automatic paste can fail in Word (you don't say if that's your wp or not).

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/faq/faq.h ... rting_a_ci

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Yes, I missed your comment about Scrivener, sorry. Note that the automatic paste into Scrivener works for me. It requires that GUI scripting be allowed. Check the Privacy -> Accessibility pane in System Preferences and make sure that Bookends is checked.
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

No, as I said, my word processor is Scrivener, and everything worked as you intended in High Sierra. That said, this failure to paste is at worst an inconvenience, and in my opinion, not a problem at all.
iandol

Post by iandol »

For me on macOS 10.14 (18A391) and BE 13.1.4, and Scrivener 3.1 (new beta), both ⌘Y and ⌘K work as they did previously (they successfully paste into Scrivener)...
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

I just found out that CMD+Y automatically pastes on almost all editors, including DT, Curiota, Word etc; except on Scapple.

I don't know why Scapple is rejected.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Check AppleEvent permissions for Bookends and Scapple in System Preferences -> Privacy.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I had some problems with this, too. It was a permissions problem (i.e. the OS got in the way). I solved it by going to System Preferences -> Privacy and adding Bookends to Accessibility, and then resetting AppleEvent permissions (using tccutil and Terminal -- you can google for that).

Jon
Sonny Software