How to organize references

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dtziouris

How to organize references

Post by dtziouris »

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to best organize my references in Bookends. I have used Sente before and I always kept my references in a tree-hierarchy of QuickTags pretty much like using folders in Finder. I tried to replicate that behavior in Bookends but it doesn't work for two reasons:
1. a folder cannot contain any references by itself, only groups
2. you cannot create two folders or groups in the hierarchy with the same name

Which method are you using for organizing your references?

Regards,
Dimitrios
ReneeDegutis

Re: How to organize references

Post by ReneeDegutis »

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to best organize my references in Bookends. I have used Sente before and I always kept my references in a tree-hierarchy of QuickTags pretty much like using folders in Finder. I tried to replicate that behavior in Bookends but it doesn't work for two reasons:
1. a folder cannot contain any references by itself, only groups
2. you cannot create two folders or groups in the hierarchy with the same name

Which method are you using for organizing your references?

Regards,
Dimitrios
Hi Dimitrios,

I've been planning to try Bookends as well (working with Scrivener now). I've been using Scrivener for both creative and academic writing, but perhaps it's possible to use Bookends just for references while still working in Scrivener? Can Bookends scan Scrivener successfully?

Regards,
Renee
Bookends reviews on the writemyessay official
Dellu

Re: How to organize references

Post by Dellu »

I also migrated from Sente.
You can almost emulate the QuickTags using the tag groups in Bookends.

Personally, I am using a combination of finder tags and Keywords organize my references; and manage projects.

The Smart Searches serve as a glue between the two.

I set up a couple of smart searches that target the keywords, tags, and Titles; and then, I put the search groups inside the folder groups. I find this method very efficient to manage projects because I can add Title Searches and Finder Tag searches alongside the keyword searches.