Migration from Papers to Bookends including PDFs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Wagenmann

Migration from Papers to Bookends including PDFs

Post by Wagenmann »

What is the best way to migrate from Papers to Bookends including PDFs?
The instructions for moving the library are clear and they do work. But they don´t move or copy the attached PDFs into the bookends folder. Is there an easy and reliable way to do this?
Since I am new to Bookends and still not completely convinced that I will move everything, I want to to have copies of all PDFs remaining in the Papers folders. But I don’t want Bookends to point to the original PDFs in the Papers folder (Then they are not available in the iOS version of bookends).
And furthermore since my current (Papers) library is rather large (5000 references all with attached PDFs) I would rather do this in steps than in one go.
Looking forward to a good workflow! Martin
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Migration from Papers to Bookends including PDFs

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what instructions you followed, so please see this page

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookends/ ... mport.html

If Bookends isn't moving the PDFs for you, you can do that yourself in the Finder -- drag and drop the PDF files (or their enclosing folder) into the Bookends default attachment folder with the Option key held down. That will cause copies to be made in the attachment folder. Now you'll have two copies of each PDF, one in the Papers location and one in the Bookends location.

Jon
Sonny Software
Wagenmann

Post by Wagenmann »

Something is not working for me when I follow the instructions that you gave (https://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookends/ ... mport.html). When selecting "File -> Import From Papers 3" I get "references where not sent by Papers 3."
Any idea where the mistake might be?
Martin
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That means Papers 3 isn't responding to the AppleEvent Bookends is sending. You might try the scripts that were submitted here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4360

Jon
Sonny Software
Wagenmann

Post by Wagenmann »

Excellent! The AppleScript from Matthias Steffens works like a charm!! This is exactly what I needed.
Martin