Help with a custom citation format

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jsturgeon

Help with a custom citation format

Post by jsturgeon »

Hi all,

I feel like I almost have this, but something is missing, and have a couple of questions/requests for help.

1) I am trying to create a custom format in the style that my publisher wants. Essentially they are looking for citations that are formatted like this (the example is for an unedited book):

Author's Last Name, Short Title, Date, Page.

I pretty much have this, except that I am getting the author's full name the first time a source is cited, and last name only on subsequent citations.

2) Secondly, I am using MS Word in Office365. I have multiple citations in some of my footnotes. Example: {Avril, 2009, #115@74-79};{Gautier, 2009, #41@25-26};{Freigang, 2011, #4@183}

When I Scan the document it comes out like this: François Avril, “Quelques Observations,” 2009, 74-79.;Marc-Édouard Gautier, “La Bibliothèque Du Roi René,” 2009, 25-26.;Christian Freigang, “Le Tournoi Idéal,” 2011, 183.

Note: These examples are for journal articles, so the having the title not in italics and within quotes is exactly what I want in this case.

I would like to remove the full-stop after each entry, and have a space inserted after the semi-colon before the next reference. Is this a problem in my format for the citation style, or a problem with how I have inserted the placeholders for the references?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
jsturgeon

Re: Help with a custom citation format

Post by jsturgeon »

So I think I just figured out part of this. I changed the way I organized the references in the footnote to: {Avril, 2009, #115@74-79; Gautier, 2009, #41@25-26; Freigang, 2011, #4@183}

This produced: François Avril, “Quelques Observations,” 2009, 74-79.; Marc-Édouard Gautier, “La Bibliothèque Du Roi René,” 2009, 25-26.; Christian Freigang, “Le Tournoi Idéal,” 2011, 183.

However, you'll notice that there is still a full-stop after the citations and before the semicolon. I'm not sure why this is, as I don't have a full-stop in the Field Order: a, “s,” d, p-

Thanks again for any help!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You probably have a period after the Cited Pages in the format definition.

Jon
Sonny Software
jsturgeon

Post by jsturgeon »

Woohoo! Thanks Jon! That got rid of the full stop between citations.