Problems with JSTOR

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
iandol

Problems with JSTOR

Post by iandol »

Hi, I never use JSTOR personally but over on the Scrivener forums a user who was trying different reference managers said that JSTOR doesn't work in Bookends when he was trialling it (so he moved over to Zotero). I enabled all three JSTOR import filters and gave it a quick test:

My test search term is "corticothalamic feedback" which gives 110 results in the normal JSTOR web browser interface — https://www.jstor.org/action/doBasicSea ... group=none

If I use the custom JSTOR.fltr I get no results returned. If I go to JSTOR in Bookends Browser, I cannot auto-import any references (the little "Import" icon doesn't highlight), and if I try to "cite this item" (button on the web page) to save the references as a RIS it doesn't get picked up by bookends browser. In a normal web browser I can save the RIS and get it to open automatically in my browser, which seems the easiest way to get an item from JSTOR.

EDIT: oh, you can use a JSTOR ID with quick add, that would be even quicker...
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Problems with JSTOR

Post by Jon »

There are a number of things going on here.

1. The direct JSTOR search uses the JSTOR APIs. Bookends is just reporting what JSTOR returns. You can test this yourself.

https://www.jstor.org/action/doXmlSearch?

I've written to JSTOR tech support, we'll see what they say.

2. JSTOR has updated their HTML output, which broke the detection of references and, once I fixed that, the import of important metadata. I've updated the JSTOR functions to deal with these changes made by JSTOR and have made a silent update. You can download Bookends 13.1.5 again and try JSTOR in Bookends Browser.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Jon, you're a star! I can confirm the new Bookends browser is now finding reference metadata for JSTOR; and the API is not working on JSTORs side, I'll let that potential user know...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

After contacting JSTOR tech support, the direct search seems to be working now.

Jon
Sonny Software