Floating Citations wishlist

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
fjmp

Floating Citations wishlist

Post by fjmp »

Just a suggestion. Would it be too difficult to use the floating citations in order to go to a specific paper in the database from its temporary citation in the manuscript? (using its ID for example, not just the author...) It would be useful just for rereading or getting and checking additional information form it.
Thanks
FJ Modrego
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Floating Citations wishlist

Post by Jon »

You can already to that from the floating citations window (so I'm not sure how you can up with the subject for this post).

You can also do this if the citation is in Mellel.

If you're using Word, the temp citation is just text, not a hypertext link. However, you can select the unique ID and use the script "Find in Bookends". In the resulting find dialog the unique ID will already be filled in, you just select Unique ID from the Find popup menu.

Jon
Sonny Software
fjmp

Post by fjmp »

Yes, I am using word... In some way that is the point. The floating citations windows is really very useful. While writing the manuscript I can open it and I look for an author already cited just in order to check some contents in the pdf, It is possible to start reading an attachment at once after you select it. At the moment I do it looking for author and year and it works just fine. Looking the paper using the ID in the floating window could send to the paper directly instead of selecting among several papers of the same author. Just a suggestion, never mind..
iandol

Post by iandol »

Jon I may have misunderstood, but I cannot get the unique ID# search to work in the floating citation window, it returns empty. The idea is one could select just the plain text #id in e.g. {Koffka, 1922, #41932}, then paste it in the floating window to bring that ref into view, then ⇧⌘R to focus bookends with that ref selected. Name of course works but it is non-unique so can slow things down...

Bookends-tools contains the beidsearch tool to do exactly this: double click the unique ID# in any app, use Alfred to trigger beid and it copies the selection and brings Bookends to the foreground with that ref selected (quicker than having to use the floating citation window)...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm still not sure exactly how you want to use the floating citation window, but here are a few facts that may help:

1. Double-click on a reference in the floating citation window to take you directly to the reference in Bookends. You can also press Command-Shift-R or right click.

2. If you want to open the attachment from within the floating citation window, double click on the PDF icon -> it will open in your PDF reader. You can open it in Quick Look instead by pressing Command-L (or right-clicking).

3. You can search for a reference by unique id in the floating citation window by preceding it with a #, as in #19324. Note that this does NOT search with each keystroke like a normal word search. You must press Return or Enter to initiate the search.

4. I described below how to search for a reference in Bookends from Word using the "Find in Bookends" script.

Jon
Sonny Software
fjmp

Post by fjmp »

Thanks Jon! That was all: the preceding # that makes the difference with the Find window!
Thanks again and sorry for the annoyance.
iandol

Post by iandol »

Yes, it was the # that was the missing piece of the puzzle for me too...