No scanning from within Bookends, only from within word processor

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
pip

No scanning from within Bookends, only from within word processor

Post by pip »

If I use Bookends to scan an .rtf file that was compiled from Scrivener (using the menu Biblio > Scan Document..), in the resulting document that Bookends outputs, the references in footnotes are not converted; they still appear as in the original .rtf file, as:
2 {Barker, 2009, #32565}

Also, no bibliography is produced.

However if I scan from inside Nisus Writer Pro (Tools > Bibliography > Scan Document), the footnote references appear to be converted, as:

... and a bibliography is produced.

I don't know why this is.

Also, how might I remove the parentheses from the successfully converted references?
Last edited by pip on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: No scanning from within Bookends, only from within word processor

Post by Jon »

The original file isn't touched. Bookends creates a new RTF file with the changes.

If you don't want the parentheses edit the format you are using and tell Bookends not to use them.

Jon
Sonny Software
pip

Post by pip »

I know the original file isn't touched. I meant the new file (created by Bookends) doesn't have the converted format.

And actually, doing it from within Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends does use the original .rtf file - it doesn't create a new one.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

NWP is different (as is Word and Mellel) -- and they are *not* .rtf files. You said you were scanning a file from Bookends and that the original file wasn't touched. That is to be expected (whether you misspoke or not).

As for your scanning problem, that is not an issue for the forum. Contact tech support if you want help.

Jon
Sonny Software
pip

Post by pip »

The issue has become strangely obfuscated. Yes they are .rtf files - whatf's that all about? I was scanning both from Nisus Writer Pro and from Bookends and comparing the two procedures (and the latter doesn't work as expected). Why isn't the scanning problem an issue for the forum? It says "a place for users to ask each other questions".
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

liebo77

Post by liebo77 »

Hello. I have this same problem. I clicked on link to topic suggested and it doesn't exist. (BTW: I have nothing to do with NWP, nor word, nor mellel.) I compile from scrivener. I have never had success with rtf scans. That is the first problem. No conversion is found in newly produced scanned rtf. I have tried with pages (from within obviously), but BE hangs and while it never unhangs it does eventually produce a scanned doc in destined folder. (I am running pages 8.1. It is not clear from the manual if BE supports 8, as in the intro to scan pages it says pages 5-7 but later on says 5 and 'later'.) I open newly produced scanned pages doc and again no conversion. I finally got it to work with an odt document. I found my work around and never bothered sorting out the rtf, pages issues. Today I received this notice upon attempting to scan an odt doc as I have in the past: "An error has occurred: error modification not allowed." I was prompted to send an email report, which I did.
I would be grateful for any indications, scanning odt (especially, as that is the only one I know to work) but also for rtf and pages.
Am I missing something obvious...?
Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Contacting tech support was the right thing to do. This forum isn't for tech support and I doubt anyone else can help you (if they can, though, please chip in).

Jon
Sonny Software
essamnagy2
Location: https://b-yout.com/%d9%86%d9%82%d9%84-% ... 9%8a%d8%a7%

Post by essamnagy2 »

إذا كنت لا تريد أن تقوم الأقواس بتحرير التنسيق الذي تستخدمه وإخبار Bookends بعدم استخدامها.

برنامج جون
سوني