Renaming attachments always to “anonymous” no matter which option selected

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
nnettsplace

Renaming attachments always to “anonymous” no matter which option selected

Post by nnettsplace »

Bookends is renaming imported attachments to “Anonymous" plus three numbers regardless of whether I ask it to do by author date, title, or one of the citation formats. I’d really like it to not rename attachments at all. Where is the option to turn this off?

If there is already an answer posted somewhere, could you please provide the link to it?

For instance, I have a watch folder where I save PDF files. I put in a PDF named “newcaste district 1833.pdf” that has no author and that name for its title. Bookends renamed the PDF as the attachment of the reference to “anonymous 952.pdf.” I had the attachment rename scheme set to Chicago 17A. On another, with the scheme set to “title,” it renamed “northumberland-spring-show.txt” to “anonymous.txt."

I get the number thing. I want it to leave my PDF attachment names the way they are (plus the number if there is a duplicate is fine).

Bookends 13.1.5 on Mac 10.11 (mini late 2012)
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Renaming attachments always to “anonymous” no matter which option selected

Post by Jon »

You can turn off automatic renaming in the attach dialog when you drag and drop a reference onto the Bookends library. I believe that setting will apply to the watch folder as well (can't check at the moment).

Jon
Sonny Software
nnettsplace

Post by nnettsplace »

Thanks for the tip, but...

Changed that setting on the drag-and-drop and then tried importing another file through watch folder...still "Anonymous"
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It looks like Bookends always renames any PDF imported via the watch folder. I'll look into an option to leave the name as is in a future update. For now, don't use the watch folder to import PDFs, instead use the standard attachment mechanisms (the one I prefer is drag and drop).

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This option has been added in the Watch Folder configure window in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
nnettsplace

Post by nnettsplace »

Jon wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:29 pmThis option has been added in the Watch Folder configure window in the next update.
cool. thanks!