Smart Groups and Folders

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jamiehatzis

Smart Groups and Folders

Post by jamiehatzis »

I am working on my dissertation and the concept of groups and subgroups/folders can be helpful. I am sure this is possible but the answer does not seem intuitive so I am hoping that I can get some help. I would like to create either a smart group or folder wherein I can specify that the group or folder should contain one keyword but not another keyword(s). I have hundreds of references with each having multiple keywords. So for example in creating a To Read smart group or folder I would like all references that contain "impact" but not "disclosure" as keywords etc etc. Is this possible??
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Smart Groups and Folders

Post by Jon »

Yes, there's a popup in front of each row after the first that contains the boolean operators and, or, and not. That lets you create such logic.

Jon
Sonny Software
dtziouris

Post by dtziouris »

Is it possible to display only the references contained in the smart folder without the references in its subfolders?
For example lets assume following smart folders/groups structure:

- Infections
∟ Tonsillitis
∟ Otitis media
∟ Laryngitis
∟ Etc...

Some articles have the child keywords (Tonsillitis, otitis, laryngitis, etc) assigned, but others are not so specific and have the parent keyword "infections". Is it possible to display them using the groups pane? I have tried both boolean operators, but AND will show no references and OR will show references belonging to both parent and child folder.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, that's what smart folders are for (using AND or OR logic). You want to use a smart group (not folder). And remember, if you select more than one group (smart or otherwise) Bookends will do an AND or OR on them, depending on your settings. These are "virtual groups".

Jon
Sonny Software
dtziouris

Post by dtziouris »

If I understand it correctly selecting a smart folder will automatically select all its subfolders and groups (smart or not) and apply AND/OR logic to the selection. May I suggest adding a NOT operator (eventually effective only when selecting a single folder) that will display the references belonging exclusively to the parent folder?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If this is what you want you're using smart folders incorrectly. As I said, you want to use groups (which can be in a "dumb" folder if you want to organize them). That's what they are for.

Jon
Sonny Software