Call number: a basic Field for Lesson

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Mencu

Call number: a basic Field for Lesson

Post by Mencu »

I suppose I am not the only one who combines the use of bibliography for research and teaching. In both fields, call numbers are basic. I have been using Endnote for almost ten years now, and have collected way of 20K references with their call numbers. I can not change everyone of them when transfering them from endnote to bookends, and viceversa everytime I share some information with a coleague. There must be a solution. I have been watching this Forum and I know that the writer of the program is not only capable but kind enough to listen to his users. Please, tell us there is a way to leave Endnote behind without having a nightmarish massive change.
Thanks in advance, yours
Miguel Garcia-Bermejo
Universidad de Salamanca
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

You can assign one of the User-defined fields for call numbers (User1 is a good choice unless you are using BibTeX). This can be done in Preferences. Alternatively, you can store the call number in the Notes field on a separate line (which is where the XML importer will put it).

Jon
Sonny Software
Mencu

Misunderstanding

Post by Mencu »

As I said, Jon, your kindness and compromise with the users of your program are one of the main reasons for me to change from that once almost perfect application that was Endnote.
Before writing the previous post, I had gone through the different trends in which this cuestion call number was discused. Thus, I have already changed the user-defined field in Preferences and named it Signatura (the spanish equivalent of call number). I have already figured out that the endnote call number field goes to the first line of Bookends Notes field.
My question was, and I probably did not make it clear in my rusty english, if there is anyway of making Bookends place the endnote call number information in my user defined Signatura field automatically, without changing it one by one. I know that the XML format will place that information in the first line of the Notes field, but I wonder if it is possible to tell the program to migrate that precise first line to another field, the call number user defined one, OR split automatically the Notes field in two different one: The firts including only the first line, the second all the other lines/informations stored in that field.
I am aware that this is the kind of problem that seem silly or useless for outsiders, but please, consider that I have in excess of 20K references in differente endnote libraries that have that little piece of information in that field. Endnote has been slowing down my work with its continuous crashes and defects for the past couple of years. I have been working with 4.2 version till I installed the Mac OS Tiger in my laptop, and said farewell to the 9.2 system. I would be very happy to change to Bookends, and so all of my spanish coleagues who suffer that program.
This post ends like it started, thanking Jon for the time he takes to help those of us who seek his help and for the patience he has with people like me.
Miguel
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Miguel,

I'm happy to help when I can. In this case, instead of using XML you can use Refer to export/import. There is an EndNote (Refer) filter in Bookends that you can edit to place any information exported from EN into any field you want in Bookends. The drawbacks are two, and may or may not be important to you: record numbers will not be retained, and styled text will not be imported.

If you MUST use XML, and if this is a one-time transfer, I can create a special build of Bookends (just the once) that moves the call number in EN XML to any field in Bookends you want...

Jon
Sonny Software
Mencu

Au secours!

Post by Mencu »

I am a stuborn scholar who does not surrender easily, but I must say I am at a loss.
I have tried the different possibilities of importing from Endnote to Bookends, and the only one that works smoothly is saving my endnote libraries in that XML format and importing them to Bookends. I have not been able to drag and drop references in Endnote-Refer fortat into a Bookends document using the version 7.0 of Endnote. Thus, when I amke a global exportation from my Endnote libraries, I get, as I told you before, my precious endnote Call Number information into the Bookends Notes field, where it lays amid several other notices I usually placed in the homonimous field in Endnote.
If you can help me and creat that special build of Bookends that moves the call number in EN XML to the first user defined field in Bookends, I will be most grateful.
Thanks for your understanding and readyness to help a poor clumsy scholar.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Miguel,

Please contact me directly and we'll straighten this out.

support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software