quickly adding item from Safari

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
somainer

quickly adding item from Safari

Post by somainer »

I'm experimenting with Bookends...but Is there a quicker way to add an item from Safari?

When off-campus, but using our journal database (Scopus), if I click on the link from our resolver which takes to me to the full text, it takes 6 steps to add the item to Bookends:

1. click on “Open in Bookends” boomarklet
2. click on “Allow” in response to the prompt “Do you want to allow this page to open “Bookends.app”?”
3. then I have to re-enter my instituional credentials
4. then I have to click on download button
5. then i have to click the box next to the paper I want to download (because it lists it AND the other papers cited therein)
6. then I have to click on import

Is there anyway to get closer to the 1-click process one gets with Zotero?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: quickly adding item from Safari

Post by Jon »

If you do the searches in Bookends Browser instead of another browser steps 1 and 2 are not necessary, and there is no duplication of step 3 (which you now have to do twice, once for the standalone browser and once for Bookends Browser). You didn't say what site you're searching -- if it's one for which we have a direct search option (e.g. PubMed) then using direct search is more flexible than a browser and faster.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Re: quickly adding item from Safari

Post by iandol »

IIRC Scopus offers a visible PMID / DOI so you can also use "Quick Add" — and if you have Alfred you can simply select the PMID/DOI (in any application/browser) and trigger quickadd via Alfred automatically (see Bookend tools).