latest update

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jamiehatzis

latest update

Post by jamiehatzis »

Hi,
I sync my Bookends library across Macs and iOS devices. Can someone explain what this means in the new update:

Cloud sync will be halted and the user notified if Bookends detects that the library file is in a file sync folder (e.g. Dropbox, iCloud Drive, or Google Drive)
Combining Bookends cloud sync (which updates just the metadata that have changed) and file sync (which uploads/downloads the entire library) can cause problems. The solution is to move the library file to another folder (the Bookends default is ~/Library/Application Support/Bookends)

Do I have to be concerned about this and if so, exactly how do I go about moving my library?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: latest update

Post by Jon »

You shouldn't be using both file sync (e.g. Dropbox or iCloud Drive) and our built in cloud sync at the same time. It's inviting trouble. Use one or the other. We recommend the built in sync. If you use this you should move your reference library file in the Finder out of the file sync folder it's in and put it somewhere else. The default location Bookends uses is the user's Application Support/Bookends folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Bookends

Jon
Sonny Software
jamiehatzis

Post by jamiehatzis »

I am sorry, could you be more precise..when you say if you use "this" what is "this"? I just went into preferences on Bookends and my attachments are in icloud folder for iOS sync. This is the only place I have ever set up. Are you saying I have to move the library elsewhere? If so, how do I do this (in other words which file am I moving? I am sorry to be such a pest, but this is my dissertation database and these articles are precious. I would need step by step instructions if I need to move anything. Otherwise, I may just skip this version of Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The library is the file where your references information is stored. It has nothing to do with attachments (which are typically separate PDFs).

This FAQ shows you how to locate your library file in the Finder.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/faq/faq.h ... tored_on_t

Find it and move it manually in the Finder, as I said. Or stick with Bookends 13.1.5.

Jon
Sonny Software
jamiehatzis

Post by jamiehatzis »

Ok, so I went to the help menu within Bookends. Seems my library is already in the Library/application support/Bookends folder. I assume this is where I would have moved it if it were elsewhere? And, am I correct in my understanding that it can stay here if I update?

Also the iCloud sync is only the attachments, correct, and those can stay where they are??
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The Bookends built-in iCloud sync is not for attachments, it's for the reference library metadata. And your library is in the right place. PDF sync is handled outside of Bookends by Apple. And your PDFs are in the right place.

Jon
Sonny Software
propofol

Post by propofol »

All of the above is understood.

Question though: when the master copy of the library, say, on a laptop, is destroyed from a HD failure, and the library file is not on DropBox, what happens to all of the other devices using that library? Can a new library file be saved from the Cloud on another device so it *perfectly reconstitutes* the lost library file? Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, see for yourself.

File -> New Library -> Download From Cloud...

Jon
Sonny Software
propofol

Post by propofol »

thank you for the quick reply