Adding to existing reference

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
martinjp

Adding to existing reference

Post by martinjp »

Might it be possible for Bookends to request confirmation before adding a pdf (that has been dropped into the Watch folder) to an existing reference? Yesterday two pdfs were added incorrectly, and it was hard to track down the problem because the references, being old, were not in the Watched group. (I've tried to add a screenshot, but I get a message that the file is too big - 340k!)

cheers
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Adding to existing reference

Post by Jon »

No. But you can easily make a smart SQL group that shows you the last X references modified, to make it easier to track down which it was.

Jon
Sonny Softare
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

Or is there a way of improving the matching, or turning it off? The manual tells me that "PDFs automatically imported from the watch folder will be attached to an existing reference if the DOI, JSTOR stable URL, or the arXiv ID matches." That wasn't the case with the match shown in the attached image.
Attachments
bib2.jpg
bib2.jpg (87.35 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm guessing your library could use Rebuilding.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

No problems detected with Verify. But Rebuilding anyway.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If after a Rebuild you still find this this pdf added to the wrong reference (do it *again* via the watch folder), make sure that the DOI in the PDF is in fact not the one in that reference. If that's the case, send me both the PDF and the library and I'll see why it's not matching.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

The pdf is printed off a website, so I'd be very surprised if it has its DOI inside. But among the references the pdf includes the DOI of the reference it's been linked to:

Sperry, D. E., Sperry, L. L., & Miller, P. J. (2018). Reexamining the verbal environments of children from different socioeconomic backgrounds. Child Development. doi:10.1111/cdev.13072 [Epub ahead of print]

So it looks like Bookends has extracted DOIs all the way down in the reference list.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends uses the first DOI it finds on the first page or two or the last page (some journals put it up front, some at the end).

Don't use the watch folder, drag and drop the PDF on the library window. Then you can choose to add it to a new empty reference.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

Thanks Jon. But I don't see the option to attach to an empty record:
bib3.png
bib3.png (62.47 KiB) Viewed 6378 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You're right. If you don't check "add to matching reference" it attaches it to the selected reference. For now, when this happens, create a new empty reference and select it, then drop the PDF. I'll have to look into allowing this option when you already have a match (spurious) in the library.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

It's happening again! I am losing pdfs because when they are imported (from the watch folder) they are attached (incorrectly) to an existing reference. Can we please have an option to approve or disapprove such an action? Or at least some kind of report so that we can see which reference the file was attached to? At present the whole process is completely invisible.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'd Rebuild the library and try again. If there's still a problem please contact tech support and send your library and a PDF to reproduce the problem.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

The problem is with the automatic matching of an imported pdf to an existing reference. This process leaves no trace: it doesn't even change the Last Modified date of the reference it is adding to. There is no way to see what match was made, let alone prevent an incorrect match.

Martin
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's a secondary issue. The first is the mismatched reference. Did Rebuilding fix that problem?

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In the next release the last modified date will be updated when a PDF from the watch folder is attached to an existing reference.

Jon
Sonny Software