Restore from backup -- How?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
alanterra

Restore from backup -- How?

Post by alanterra »

Hi

I ended up deleting hundreds of entries from my Bookends database--the most important ones!

So, I restored from backups and I see that as soon as Bookends connects, it immediately deletes the references again!

When I open the restored database I see this
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 14.17.15.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 14.17.15.png (19.56 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
and a few seconds later I see this
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 14.17.26.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 14.17.26.png (17.12 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
I don't see any recipes anywhere on support or in the manual for dealing with this. What use is a backup if you can't use it to restore?

Any advice appreciated!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Restore from backup -- How?

Post by Jon »

If the library was synced to the cloud after deleting the reference then they will be deleted when you open the backup.

You can remove the database from the cloud first, then restore the backup (which I assume was stored on your HD or a server) and upload it to the cloud.

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

So, I am figuring this out, but let me be clear for the next person who runs into this problem. Jon, could you look this over to make sure I haven't left anything out.
  • You have to open Bookends and create a new database. (This is because the cloud sync icon is only available when you have a database open).
  • Then click on the little cloud at the bottom left of the window and delete the relevant database. Remember that it might have a different name than the database on your disk.
  • Now restore your backup database and open it in Bookends.
  • An error message will come up saying that the cloud copy is missing, and you should unlink your database. Unlink your database.
  • Now link the database to a new cloud file.
  • After this completes, go to your other computers, if any, and delete the Bookends databases there. Create new Bookends databases using the Download from Cloud… command.
I think that this recipe (or something like it) really should be in the manual.
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

And, for what it is worth, this is a process that takes minutes, not the hours I feared. Thanks for that, Jon.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, that's the route I would take. Having said that, Serge is the sync expert. If he has anything to add he'll chime in.

Jon
Sonny Software