how to clear a field globally?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
opsimathphd

how to clear a field globally?

Post by opsimathphd »

I've returned to Bookends after a long dalliance with EndNote (ugh!). Given that I've returned mostly because of the customizability of Bookends, I'm seriously trying to tailor it to what I need instead of bumbling around and then cursing when it doesn't do what I want. The problem I currently have is that I'm working with a library that was already created. I've managed most of what I need to do, but there are still a few things I can't figure out:

- is there a way to globally clear a field? I'd like to clear the Keynote field in all 600+ entries, but I can't figure out how to do that.

- Imported references (mostly from libraries, I'm a humanities person, so no PubMed or any of those things) seem to have trouble with accented characters. Do I have something set wrong, or do I just need to manually fix things like é, à, and so on?

Thanks--I appreciate your willingness to engage with your sometimes cranky users (that would be me).

Laurel Wilson
opsimathphd

Re: how to clear a field globally?

Post by opsimathphd »

I still want to know about clearing a field, but I've solved the accented characters problem (setting on the BibTex tab in Preferences).
Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

1. Refs -> Global Change -> Change Field -> Insert nothing (empty field) into the Keywords field. That will remove whatever is there.

2. If BibTeX settings solved that, good. When importing a non-BibTeX-formatted text file, tell Bookends to what encoding to expect in File -> Import Text Encoding. UTF-8 is common now.

Jon
Sonny Software
opsimathphd

Post by opsimathphd »

Thanks! I really appreciate how helpful you are!