arXiv reference details and PDF

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
egnomic

arXiv reference details and PDF

Post by egnomic »

Hello,

I had 2 quick questions regarding arXiv references:

1. When I quick add an arXiv reference to my library, the PDF is not added. Is there any way to automate this? Bookends can easily attach PDFs to the references if I manually tell it to search the internet, but I don't want to keep doing this every time I add a new reference.

2. Whenever bookends fills an arXiv reference details, it never adds the "arxiv:xxxxxx.xxxxx" identifier in any of the fields (besides URL I guess), it just adds "arXiv" as the journal. This is a problem because all entries in my bibliography do not have the arxiv identifier, and in physics citations don't normally include the paper's title. Is there any way to automate including the identifier in the "issue" field?

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: arXiv reference details and PDF

Post by Jon »

1. Quick Add is for metadata only. If you want the PDF you can use Refs -> Get PDF From Internet. You can do this in batch if that's easier (select multiple references at once).

2. For some references Bookends finds the id and lists it (in the bottom of the online search window) as arXiv:. You can edit the filter to put that wherever you want (e.g. in Pages). I'd have to look and see why some refs and not others have it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In the next update Bookends will parse out the arXiv id for all references. If you import then, the arXiv id will go to the Pages field (you can change that if you want by editing the import filter).

Jon
Sonny Software
egnomic

Post by egnomic »

Great to hear, thank you Jon!

Just to confirm, do the arXiv import filter settings affect quick adding arXiv papers? I've modified the filter for my needs and it works with online search, but quick add completely ignores it.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Quick Add uses the same arXiv.fltr for importing.

Jon
Sonny Software