Custom reference types/field labels missed after update

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Custom reference types/field labels missed after update

Post by Jon »

I'm glad you like this. Yes, that's one reason we did it. It was also done in preparation for a long called-for feature we expect to include in the next update, which I'll just tease now... :-)

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

[Edit: >> ] Fixed.

I didn't go back far enough into my TM backups. Pulling one from the first week of April restored all my settings again.
Which is a relief!

I have now copied both BE Preferences files (the larger one, that looks like a type of application file, and the Preferences.txt file) from that April TM backup, for safekeeping – should this happen again.

I presume that this would be a good idea, since as the TM backups progress, the previous months' backups get whittled down into only a single instance per month? Which will mean that at some point I will effectively 'lose' that specific version?

Any other suggestions >> as in, should I merely take note of the date, since presumably today's TM backups will again have copies of the 'correct'/corrected files?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi Jon,

A variation(?) of this problem has now cropped up again, and is not being fixed by using the steps suggested here.

Currently, when going into my Biblio/Formats Manager window, when clicking on the dropdown arrow in "Type:", whilst several of my format types are visible (i.e. Journal article; Book chapter; Conference proceedings etc.), I am again met with several "Unused" / "Unused 4" / "Unused 2" in between.

The "Field Order" for all of them is still there, including the various "Unused" / "Unused 3" etc., it's just the names that have now disappeared...

Steps taken:
Closed BE.
I deleted the TypeAndFieldLabels.txt from the BE folder.
I then restored the BE12 Preferences file from a TM backup, and replaced the original in the BE folder.
Re-opened BE, with no change.

I then took a chance that I was supposed to also replace the BE Preferences.txt file, which I did as well – with still no change.

Any suggestions?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please see if this reply from Serge on another thread helps.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4925

Jon
Sonny Software
DerangedChef

Post by DerangedChef »

In all app updates to 13.2.1, 13.2.2, and 13.2.3, Bookends has replaced my custom ref types and field labels with the default ones. The "TypesAndLabels.txt" gets replaced by a fresh "generic" version with date March 22.

Fix: replace TypesAndLabels.txt inside the ApplicationSupport/Bookends folder with a good copy from TimeMachine. Always worked for me in 13.2.2 and 13.2.3.

So I am trying to give some help in narrowing down what the cause is for this unexpected behavior:
- I am on macOS 10.13.6
- I work on a local library that is NOT synced to iCloud, and that is stored on an EXTERNAL drive (an SD card); so my attachment folder and custom folder are on that external volume
- attaching an info window image here that shows the permissions for TypesAndLabels.txt. Those permissions are always the same, for the "good" file and the one that Bookends initially creates after an update. Same permissions for the parent "Bookends" folder.
- no anti-virus software installed

I am not sure that this is really a permissions issue... hmm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/44wmfa1awqhwo ... o.jpg?dl=0
--
Stefan L. :roll:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the information. We where able to track this down and it's now fixed in a silent update to 13.2.3. If you want to verify it yourself, download 13.2.3 again and then remove the file Installed Version.txt from the Bookends folder. Launch Bookends. Your modified Types and Labels should be preserved now.

Jon
Sonny Software
DerangedChef

Post by DerangedChef »

Great, good news!
Thanks for the quick fix.
--
Stefan L. :roll:
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:58 am Thanks for the information. We where able to track this down and it's now fixed in a silent update to 13.2.3. If you want to verify it yourself, download 13.2.3 again and then remove the file Installed Version.txt from the Bookends folder. Launch Bookends. Your modified Types and Labels should be preserved now.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hi Jon.

Still not working this side. :oops:
Re-downloaded and installed 13.2.3 – opened BE, Help/BE Folder in Finder. Trashed "Installed Version.txt"
Re-opened BE – seeing the "unused" options under Format types again...

Any suggestions?

[Edit] >> Btw, the initial suggestions i.r.o. restoring everything to what it was, still works.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Suspend syncing if it's already on.

1. Make a change in a reference Type in preferences (rename Author to Author1).
2. Quit Bookends.
3. Trash Installed Version.txt
4. Relaunch Bookends.

Are the changes in Type you made there or reverted?

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:01 am Suspend syncing if it's already on.

1. Make a change in a reference Type in preferences (rename Author to Author1).
2. Quit Bookends.
3. Trash Installed Version.txt
4. Relaunch Bookends.

Are the changes in Type you made there or reverted?

Jon
Sonny Software
The change is there, Jon – which is presumably a good thing?
I will keep an eye on things.

As mentioned – all fine once I did the earlier fix. Will check and see if state is maintained at the next update/download.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, that's a good thing. Thanks for checking.

Jon
Sonny Software