superscript citations

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
erin3900

superscript citations

Post by erin3900 »

Hi, Jon -- Newbie question here, sorry I can't seem to figure this out.

I'd like to have the citations in the body of my document appear as superscript numbers and have the bibliography/reference page at the end appear in APA format. (I know APA format doesn't use superscript numbers -- but this is how I need to format this particular document.) Can you help me know how to do this?

Can I get set it so that the citation appears as a superscript before I scan the document? Or do I just need to scan it every so often (so that the scan process will turn the citations into superscripts)?

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: superscript citations

Post by Jon »

Make a new format based on APA. Then go to the Citation Options tab, change the citation style to Number, and tell Bookends to superscript them.

Jon
Sonny Software
erin3900

Post by erin3900 »

Perfect -- thanks so much, Jon.

When I scan the document the first time, the superscripts show up perfectly. But if I go back and add another reference and then scan the document again, the previous superscripts all become *very* tiny and unreadable. (I notice if I then 'unscan' the document, the font inside the citation brackets is changed as well. Is there a setting that controls this? I've tried, but can't seem to locate one.

Last question -- promise. Is there a way to stop the extra blank space from showing up in Word -- i.e., between the period at the end of a sentence and the citation (in curly braces), after I add the citation to the end of the sentence? I'm wanting the superscript to show up immediately after the period at the end of the sentence, without a space between the period and the superscript.

Thank you again.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Make sure that the style sheet in your Word document is set to the size you want. When Bookends unscans the style sheet is applied by Word.

The space that occurs when you insert the citation? That is done by Word trying to be helpful (and failing), not Bookends. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Jon
Sonny Software
erin3900

Post by erin3900 »

Yep, I wondered if the whole 'adding a space' thing was some default in Word. I think it's about time for me to switch to another program. LOL

After reading what you said about the style sheet, I went back in and can see that Word seems to actually change the style sheet when I hit "unscan." For example, before hitting unscan, the text is set to Style 4, and then after hitting unscan, it magically changes to 5. :roll: Guess I don't know enough about style sheets....which is another reason its probably time to switch to another program. LOL
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Mellel is highly recommended.

As for the style sheet changing -- you're having the scanned document put back in the same window, right? Not a new window...

Jon
Sonny Software
erin3900

Post by erin3900 »

Good to know about Mellel -- will check it out.

Actually, yes, it was set up to create the doc in a new window. And now that I've changed that, and....it works. :D

Thank you!!