Set selected text as title

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mjvalente

Set selected text as title

Post by mjvalente »

Hello to all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to select some text (on a pdf, via the attachment panel) and set it as the reference title?

For example, on the screenshot below, I selected the text "Phylogeography of red deer (Cervus elaphus) in Europe" and want to set this text as the title, but not using the copy+paste—ideally this could be done with a shortcut.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Set selected text as title

Post by Jon »

No, it's not. Copy/paste is the easiest way.

Jon
Sonny Software
mjvalente

Post by mjvalente »

Thanks for the quick reply, Jon.

Could you eventually consider this feature in a future update?
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

This is a good very idea to manually collect reference data from the pdf documents. I have been using Keyboard Maestro for this purpose.

A little icon just on the side the highlighter; call it a MetaTab (or Picker).

Once the user selected a text from the pdf document and clicks the Picker, she gets some choices:
- Author: sends the selected text to the Author field
- Title: copies the text to the Title field
etc.
mjvalente

Post by mjvalente »

Ooooh... I really like the idea of this "Picker."

:)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Actually, I'd forgotten Bookends has this function. It's in AutoComplete Paper. Do a Command-C, select some text in the PDF, and then click on the action pop-up menu at the top left. You'll have the option to copy the text to any field in the reference.

Jon
Sonny Software
mjvalente

Post by mjvalente »

This works. Thanks :)

Still, I'd love to have that option via the main window, not needing to start Autocomplete Paper. (Faster workflow.)