Alphabetical order for non-Western (Malay / Arabic) names

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
joseph_anton

Alphabetical order for non-Western (Malay / Arabic) names

Post by joseph_anton »

I wonder if anyone could guide me on the correct way for an Arabic or Malay name to appear in a list of works cited in which most of the other entries are Western names? The particular case I am looking at is the Malay writer Abdullah bin Abdul Kadir (also known as Abdullah Munshi). I understand that "Abdullah" is the given name, "bin" means "son of," and "Abdul Kadir" is the father's name. By analogy with Western names, I think this should appear as "bin Abdul Kadir, Abdullah" and that the alphabetization should be based on "Abdul Kadir" rather than "bin".

If this is correct, is there some way of entering the name in Bookends so that the alphabetization will be based on "Abdul Kadir" rather than "bin" while preserving the correct order of words?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Alphabetical order for non-Western (Malay / Arabic) names

Post by Jon »

I don't answer the first part of your question, but as for the second, in Preferences (Scan & Bib tab) you can tell Bookends to ignore bin when sorting author names.

Jon
Sonny Software