Right pane scrolling behaviour

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
lyndondrake

Right pane scrolling behaviour

Post by lyndondrake »

A little frustration with the right pane: if the cursor is above a field, two-finger scrolling on the touchpad scrolls the field, rather than the pane. This occurs even if the field does not have any further content to display. As a result, one has to find a blank (i.e. non-field) part of the right pane in order to scroll the whole right pane, and the target area for that isn't large. Most apps with a left- or right-pane setup have a much larger effective scroll target as most individual fields don't need scrolling.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Right pane scrolling behaviour

Post by Jon »

That's how macOS works. We provide gutters on both sides of the window that you should use for scrolling.

Jon
Sonny Software
lyndondrake

Post by lyndondrake »

In other apps it only seems to happen if the content of the field is actually scrollable. In Bookends, it happens even if only a single line of text is in a multiline text box. Is that normal? Maybe I just haven't encountered that UI in other apps - e.g. in Pages all the text boxes in the right pane are single-line?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Despite not having scroll bars the "single line" fields are actually multiline (e.g. you can have two URLs in that field and view both by clicking the enlarge icon or right-clicking). As I said, the scroll behavior supplied by the OS, we have nothing to do with it. Please use the gutters, that's why they are there.

Jon
Sonny Software