Scan Google Docs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
med

Scan Google Docs

Post by med »

Will there be a way to scan manuscripts written in a Google Docs file? Or maybe a Google Docs add-in with bookends (the latter will probably be more complicated)

The Google Docs file opened in Finder is just a text linking to the actual Google Doc webpage, such as:
{"url": "https://docs.google.com/open?id=hash", "doc_id": "hash", "email": "email@gmail.com"}
So it seems if Bookends would be able to scan the document in my local Google Drive Folder, it would have to download the link of the url, and preserve all other Google Docs styles.

I am able to download the Google Docs as a .docx, scan that, and upload it. However, if I need to re-scan (or un-scan) after adding more references, Bookends will start another bibliography section. So I can really only do this at the very end of writing. Since NIH grant proposals may have "30 lines of text limit" for abstracts, or "1 page limit" for a specific aims page, it would be useful to constantly update the bibliography, especially when using superscripts for references (e.g. like with Nature reference style, which can drastically ease a page limit restriction).

On the other hand, I can also use Paperpile, which has add-on functionality right into the browser of Google Docs. However, it has its own workflow problems too. It only talks to Mendeley and Zotero natively. And there's no support for writing on an iPad Pro.

I saw old forum posts about how cool and powerful it would be to support Bookends with Google Docs. Paperpile is pretty new with the only lead monopoly on integrating with Google Docs. if Bookends swoops in, it will definitely dominate that part of the market because (1) Bookends has a larger history of users and (2) Paperpile is the only browser reference manager for Google Docs (the was another I came across, but Paperpile seems to be really the only one).
So I was wondering if you guys have given any thought of integrating with Google Docs, or if there are any plans along the way? If not, I'll try to manage with Paperpile, and wait for them to build their base for Bookends integration and iOS support for the iPad Pro.

(I also welcome any other workflow suggestions with Google Docs -- except for the suggestion of not using it because I don't think I can convince an entire group to change when I'm the new guy in the lab lol)

Thanks!!!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Scan Google Docs

Post by Jon »

HI, we have no plans at the moment, but I'll add it to the requested features list. Note that even if Bookends scanned Google Docs it would be much inferior to scanning Mellel, Word, or NWP. For one thing, there would be no unscan.

Jon
Sonny Software