Feature request: temporary citation tool tip

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
cinepou

Feature request: temporary citation tool tip

Post by cinepou »

Hi,

I'm writing in Scrivener, using temporary citations with footnotes. When quoting many works of the same author, I often find myself reduced to guessing which work a placeholder (in curly brackets) refers to. (The guesswork is compounded by the fact that some of my sources are republications, meaning that the date displayed in the placeholder is often not the original date of publication.)

Is there a way to display the full citation short of switching over to Bookends and searching the reference in my database? I'm thinking tool tips, but maybe there exists another way (or workaround) to achieve this: Thank you for any pertinent suggestions!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: temporary citation tool tip

Post by Jon »

You want tool tips in Scrivener? That would be a feature request for Literature & Latte.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. A tiny time-saving tip I can suggest is to use Floating Citations to look up the reference rather than switching to Bookends. Also, if you cite by Content instead of Author, Date, Unique ID then you'll probably be able to recognize the reference without any further information.
cinepou

Post by cinepou »

Thank you Jon, and point taken.

I was really hoping for some workaround. I will cite by content in the future but with my current project (which is in its final stages) this won't be of much help.

Would you kindly specify how to use Floating Citations to look up the reference? This did occur to me, but when I enter the placeholder it does not display the relevant reference. (I can of course enter the author name and date, but if, as is often the case, there are several publications by the same author dating to the same year, I have no way of telling which is which...)

It wouldn't surprise me if I were overlooking something very obvious...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

A Proofreading scan will change your current citations to Content if you want.

If you are using the unique id in the citation, call up Floating citations with the double tap of the trigger key and enter it, preceded by a # (e.g. #81232). The ref will then be shown in the floating citation window.

Jon
Sonny Software